FAHControl Won't Install On Linux Lite 5.2

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Planorez

FAHControl Won't Install On Linux Lite 5.2

Post by Planorez »

FAHControl won't install on a Linux Lite 5.2 AMD64 computer. I get a Dependency is not satisfiable error. I tried the latest FAHControl software version for Debian/Mint/Ubuntu. Any other versions that might work?
Thanks
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Re: FAHControl Won't Install On Linux Lite 5.2

Post by Neil-B »

iirc their are a number of workarounds on various linux versions that might help - a search for python should find you the threads
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Not familiar with Linux Lite, but what the latest official FAHControl requires is Python 2.7. There may be a legacy Python installer for Linux Lite that you can download and install.

There is also an unofficial installer floating around that has updated FAHControl to use Python 3. Links have been posted here before, Someone more familiar with it and Linux Lite may be able to give specific suggestions about that.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
demorgan

Post by demorgan »

Hi, I had a lot of trouble getting Python 2.7 installed and working since support has been removed, but this thread discusses a python3 version of FAHControl being developed, and it works fine for me in Linux Lite, Linux Mint, and newer versions of Ubuntu that all have support for Python 2.7 removed:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34757

More specifically, the link to the Github you need is:

https://github.com/cdberkstresser/fah-control

So go to the terminal and if you don't have git, do:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install git
Then:

git clone https://github.com/cdberkstresser/fah-control
cd fah-control
sudo apt-get install -y python3-stdeb python3-gi python3-all python3-six debhelper dh-python gir1.2-gtk-3.0
sudo python3 setup.py install
Let me know if that works!

To run, type:

FAHControl
Planorez

Post by Planorez »

I tried it and I get the FAH Control window I do have to leave the terminal open since it is a terminal command to launch it.
Thanks for the help.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAHControl does not need to stay open, but depending on how you started it, FAHClient may be running in the terminal window. The normal startup script starts FAHClient as a background daemon so nothing needs to stay open.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Linux lite is a stripped down version of Ubuntu,
It's entirely possible some of the dependencies FAH uses, aren't installed.
It's to be expected, since FAH is made to run on Redhat, or Debian (which most of the Ubuntu dependencies are identical to, so Ubuntu works as well).
Unless you have a single core 1,4Ghz CPU with 512MB of RAM (or less), I don't see why you'd not switch to Lubuntu instead?
Use Lubuntu 16.04 for real old hardware(+10yr old hardware), 18.04 for multi Nvidia GPU support and ~5-10yr old hardware, and 20.04 or newer for more modern hardware.
demorgan

Post by demorgan »

MeeLee wrote:Linux lite is a stripped down version of Ubuntu,
It's to be expected, since FAH is made to run on Redhat, or Debian (which most of the Ubuntu dependencies are identical to, so Ubuntu works as well).
Unless you have a single core 1,4Ghz CPU with 512MB of RAM (or less), I don't see why you'd not switch to Lubuntu instead?
Use Lubuntu 16.04 for real old hardware(+10yr old hardware), 18.04 for multi Nvidia GPU support and ~5-10yr old hardware, and 20.04 or newer for more modern hardware.
Hi, it is indeed the case that some of the dependencies that the official version of FAHControl uses are not present in Linux Lite. However, this is because they're not present in recent versions of Ubuntu itself, which (as you say) is what Linux Lite is based on. These are not present simply because Python 2.x is simply depreciated and not present in the repositories in modern versions of Ubuntu, which continues to be a vexing problem for anyone trying to install and use FAHControl. Out of the three flavors of Linux purported to be supported by the .deb files available, only in Debian can the packages be obtained easily with apt. I have various computers running all Debian-based distros, such as Debian itself, Linux Lite, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu. Only on Debian itself could the dependencies by satisfied without going into dependency hell.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

demorgan wrote:
MeeLee wrote:Linux lite is a stripped down version of Ubuntu,
Hi, it is indeed the case that some of the dependencies that the official version of FAHControl uses are not present in Linux Lite. However, this is because they're not present in recent versions of Ubuntu itself, which (as you say) is what Linux Lite is based on. These are not present simply because Python 2.x is simply depreciated and not present in the repositories in modern versions of Ubuntu, which continues to be a vexing problem for anyone trying to install and use FAHControl. Out of the three flavors of Linux purported to be supported by the .deb files available, only in Debian can the packages be obtained easily with apt. I have various computers running all Debian-based distros, such as Debian itself, Linux Lite, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu. Only on Debian itself could the dependencies by satisfied without going into dependency hell.
The same should be true for Ubuntu 16.04 and variants.
Also 18.04 all the way to 18.04.4 I believe. But it'll be hard to attain, since the OS will want to update to 18.04.5.
Not sure if that version still supports python 2.7
I know on 18.04.4 I could still install the older python, but have since switched to 20.04 (not folding).
demorgan

Post by demorgan »

Planorez wrote:I tried it and I get the FAH Control window I do have to leave the terminal open since it is a terminal command to launch it.
Thanks for the help.
Hi, sorry, I didn't answer before because I usually prefer to keep the terminal open (it shows connection error messages in the terminal and I find that useful).

However, start the program with this command and it should exit the terminal (works with any graphical program launched from a terminal emulator):

FAHControl & exit