Odd GPU behavior - terminal window + FAHClient

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

SJC_Steve

Re: Odd GPU behavior - terminal window + FAHClient

Post by SJC_Steve »

bruce wrote:If the first time that FAHClient runs, it finds no GPUs with their respective drivers, FAH will add the gpu=false statement so that the next time you run it, it doesn't waste a few seconds reconfiguering GPUs:0.

I have not done a fresh install recently. If it does find a GPU and configure it, it may also decide that your GPUs are permanent parts of your kit and they're not going to change just because you restart FAHClient the next time you reboot.

Not editing the config is an excellent plan. Can you describe removing the entry using FAHControl? (and do you consider teaching FAHControl to be beyond the scope of what a newbie can absorb in their first sitting?)
Once the GPUs are recognized by getting rid of gpu = false, the Client will Fold on the GPU from then on, restarting the Client or rebooting don't change the config back to gpu=false, the Client maintains the correct settings to continue folding on the GPU.

No, I don't consider using FAHControl too complex for novices to use. I am just trying to get at the heart of needing to do a manual intervention by using Control.

To remove the entry, you simply go to Configure and Expert, click on the gpu=false, remove it, hit Save and when it's done saving, reboot the PC. When it comes back up, it will start Folding on the GPU. Since we haven't found a way to eliminate the manual step, that's what the Guide says to do and I will leave it like that unless we find an another way to eliminate that step.

Thanks,
Steve
bruce

Post by bruce »

The client does find upgraded GPUs or GPUs added in another slot if 'gpu' remains set tp 'true'

I was surprised to find the setting gpu=false in a system that had already detected GPU hardware the first time but like I said, I have not done a clean install recently.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

SJC_Steve wrote:...To remove the entry, you simply go to Configure and Expert, click on the gpu=false, remove it, hit Save and when it's done saving, reboot the PC. When it comes back up, it will start Folding on the GPU. Since we haven't found a way to eliminate the manual step, that's what the Guide says to do and I will leave it like that unless we find an another way to eliminate that step...
I am aware that even with gpu=false, you can manually add a GPU Slot and it will be added as long as the pre-requisites are met by the client. IIRC, this step doesn't requite a reboot of the client/system but feel free to double-check and verify on a fresh system. It might make Step 7 easier.

gpu=false means that the client will not attempt to automatically detect your GPUs nor it will modify your GPUs configuration if present.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
SJC_Steve

Post by SJC_Steve »

PantherX wrote:
SJC_Steve wrote:...To remove the entry, you simply go to Configure and Expert, click on the gpu=false, remove it, hit Save and when it's done saving, reboot the PC. When it comes back up, it will start Folding on the GPU. Since we haven't found a way to eliminate the manual step, that's what the Guide says to do and I will leave it like that unless we find an another way to eliminate that step...
I am aware that even with gpu=false, you can manually add a GPU Slot and it will be added as long as the pre-requisites are met by the client. IIRC, this step doesn't requite a reboot of the client/system but feel free to double-check and verify on a fresh system. It might make Step 7 easier.

gpu=false means that the client will not attempt to automatically detect your GPUs nor it will modify your GPUs configuration if present.
Thanks for the input. At this point in my limited experience, I don't "trust" the Client to do the right thing with the GPU attribute. Something goes wrong in the 1st start-up of the Client but it doesn't appear to leave a trail in the the logs as they show the GPU and drivers recognized but marks GPU=False. Unless we can find out more about this start-up issue, I'm more comfortable with doing the reboot as the Client then sets GPU=True and adds the GPU slot by itself.

Steve
bruce

Post by bruce »

SJC_Steve wrote:Unless we can find out more about this start-up issue, I'm more comfortable with doing the reboot as the Client then sets GPU=True and adds the GPU slot by itself.
Agreed.

This is not the only situation where it doesn't leave a trail in the the logs. Problems like that are difficult to diagnose, but fortunately they are exceedly uncommon situations.
SJC_Steve

Post by SJC_Steve »

One last item; When I install the Client, it comes up with one error message. Perhaps it has meaning in the context of the start-up problem of gpu=false or maybe it a common message during installation of the Client. Here's a snippet of the install string;

"Preparing to unpack .../fahclient_7.6.21_amd64.deb ...
Adding system user fahclient...done
Unpacking fahclient (7.6.21) ...
Setting up fahclient (7.6.21) ...
Failed to enable unit: Unit /run/systemd/generator.late/FAHClient.service is transient or generated.

The Folding@home client is now installed"

Steve