CPU priority of GPU slot (feature request)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

void

CPU priority of GPU slot (feature request)

Post by void »

Can you please add an option to set CPU priority of e. g. FahCore_22.exe? It is not that hard to do.

I have 8C8T CPU with iGPU (which is quite capable for an iGPU) - Intel Core I7-9700K. I can get 100% iGPU load by limiting CPU slot to 7 threads but this wastes 1 CPU core. If I configure Folding@Home to use all 8 threads iGPU is loaded ~70..95% depending on work unit and only ~50% of CPU core is consumed. But if I manually set priority of FahCore_22.exe to "Below normal" or above I can get >93% iGPU load with CPU core still at ~50%. This is more efficient (and faster).

Processors w/o SMT (like mine) do consume a lot of power polling (i)GPU. My iGPU is approx. 3 times faster than iGPU in distributed.net OpenCL benchmark (see description of https://github.com/dcti/dnetc-client-base/pull/17) and more power efficient, I can't easily benchmark Folding@Home CPU vs GPU.

"core-priority" in "Extra slot options (experts only)" unfortunately sets priority for FAHCoreWrapper.exe, not for FahCore_22.exe. Also it does not have a lot of available options.

Thank you.
JimboPalmer

Re: CPU priority of GPU slot (feature request)

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home! [I am just a user like you, not an authority]

I am not trying to dispute your info or request, but this feature should be well hidden.

It will only help Intel Graphics without hyper-threading.

However, it will be applied by misguided folks with Hyper-threading, and with AMD and Nvidia graphics.

Neither you nor I know what effect the feature will have on those scenarios.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

I belive this has been fixed. The CPU priority setting used to set the priority of
void wrote:Can you please add an option to set CPU priority of e. g. FahCore_22.exe? [/qipte]It is not that hard to do.
This is already listed in github issues, which is where enhancement requests reside until somebody is available to work on it.
"core-priority" in "Extra slot options (experts only)" unfortunately sets priority for FAHCoreWrapper.exe, not for FahCore_22.exe. Also it does not have a lot of available options.
At one time, this was true, but I believe this has been fixed.

The limitation in options is intentional. FAH is designed to take advantage of unused CPU resources. Thus, by design, FAH does not compete for resources with anything running with ordinary ranges of priorites .. i.e. except for the lowest possible priorities.
void

Post by void »

bruce wrote:I belive this has been fixed. The CPU priority setting used to set the priority of
void wrote:Can you please add an option to set CPU priority of e. g. FahCore_22.exe? It is not that hard to do.
This is already listed in github issues, which is where enhancement requests reside until somebody is available to work on it.
void wrote:"core-priority" in "Extra slot options (experts only)" unfortunately sets priority for FAHCoreWrapper.exe, not for FahCore_22.exe. Also it does not have a lot of available options.
At one time, this was true, but I believe this has been fixed.
Not in 7.6.21. Is semi-public beta available?
bruce wrote:The limitation in options is intentional. FAH is designed to take advantage of unused CPU resources. Thus, by design, FAH does not compete for resources with anything running with ordinary ranges of priorites .. i.e. except for the lowest possible priorities.
It looks like "Low" in "core-priority" maps to "Below normal" as shown by Task Manager. This is good enough but now it only sets priority for FAHCoreWrapper.exe, not for FahCore_22.exe.