Version of installed Client

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mfmburg

Version of installed Client

Post by mfmburg »

Dear team of FAH,

During the phase in the last weeks in which it was difficult to get tasks asigned, I tried to check which version is installed on my computers - but the client does not provide a field showing this information. Would it be possible to add a small "about" button to show this information? It could be helpful for people not so deep in the software, to perform a quick check, whether the actual client is running or an update would make sense

Thanks
Martin
bruce

Re: Version of installed Client

Post by bruce »

As the user, you interact with FAHControl which is the application which run in the GUI. The "About" icon is in the upper right corner.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

For those users who are running headless and not using FAHControl, the command FAHClient --info will also provide that version information.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mfmburg

Post by mfmburg »

Thanks, this helps to find out the current version!

But I was unprecise with my suggestion: If I just run the application by activating the link on the desktop, the browser is led to https://client.foldingathome.org/ and the webcontrol is started. This is at least my default view, after the system is set up for the first time. This webcontrol - at least with the Windows client - does not show the version of the client.
Thanks
Martin
bruce

Post by bruce »

Webcontrol is a rather unsophisticated app that runs in a browser. It has rarely been updated. For something more sophisticated and more powerful, FAHControl is also available and it does get updated when FAHClient is updated; Both carry the same revision number.
Whompithian

Post by Whompithian »

I agree that it would be nice to have more information about the client visible directly in Web Control. Version string would be a good start.
ajm

Post by ajm »

You get that info with LAR_Systems' Dark Extension in Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nicbgfahoe
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Both FAHControl and the Web Control are open source. You can find them here - https://github.com/FoldingAtHome.

Web Control is made to work with versions of the client back to about version 7.4. It is basically a downloaded JavaScript and a style sheet to display information collected from the running FAHClient process. You could put in an enhancement request to include displaying a version for the FAHClient it connects to, no idea on whether it would be added or how long before it was distributed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Joe_H wrote:Both FAHControl and the Web Control are open source... You could put in an enhancement request ... no idea on whether it would be added or how long before it was distributed.
You probably would be better off writing your own javascript.
Whompithian

Post by Whompithian »

I just noticed that the version string is included in the Web Control window title. Not the most convenient place, but it works well enough for me.
mfmburg

Post by mfmburg »

@ Whompithian,
Thanks, that's the most easy way. But as firefox truncates the window titles in the tabs, I did not notice it.