Starting FAH manually

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Vertikutierer

Starting FAH manually

Post by Vertikutierer »

Hey,

first I have to say that I am an absolute noob about the FAH Software and my english skills are pretty limited.
I installed FAH on my MacBook Pro M1 and I would like to know how I start the folding procedure manually instead of it starts automatically when I connect the device to the power cord.
Earlier i used to run FAH on a Windows Machine and installed it as an expert because it started automatically too before.

Please don't be mad at me because I didn't searched in the forum.

Thank you, I appreciate every answer. Bye.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Starting FAH manually

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

To have the Folding@home client software set to be manually started, you would add the 'pause-on-start' option and set the value to 'true'. You would do this using FAHControl, click on Configure, select the Slots tab, and then click on the CPU slot. The Edit button is at the lower right, click that and then Add. A small window will pop up enter the option and the setting without the gouts marks, OK and Save the change in setting.

If you are not familiar with where to find FAHControl, it is in a Folding@home folder in the Applications folder.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Re: Starting FAH manually

Post by bruce »

FAHClient should start automatically on either Windows or OS-X. The default setting for the slots can either be FOLD or PAUSE.

The words "starting FAH" apparently is taken to mean starting computations which can also be described as "setting FAH's slots to FOLD" This should be managed by changing the setting with FAHControl or WebControl between FOLD or PAUSE. The default setting of FOLD seems to bother more people than making the default setting to be PAUSE.