Linux Help!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

snerd
Hardware configuration: Dell Studio XPS Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93ghz 12gb Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit nVidia GTS-240 1024mb

Linux Help!

Post by snerd »

I installed the .deb on my Linux Mint machine. Rebooted. CPU is maxed out! Hotter n hell!! I have no program group, icon or anything to turn the damn thing off!! What did I miss?!?!
gunnarre

Re: Linux Help!

Post by gunnarre »

The GUI (FAHControl) is its own .deb package, and it's not guaranteed to work on all Linux distributions.

You can stop or reduce the folding power by going to the web client at http://client.foldingathome.org
If you draw the slider to "light", it will reduce the number of CPU threads it uses after the current work unit gets finished.

You can also send commands via the command line, like

Code: Select all

FAHClient --send-pause
FAHClient --send-unpause
FAHClient --send-finish
You can edit the config.xml file directly at /etc/fahclient/config.xml
There you can reduce the number of CPU threads in a more fine-grained way, by changing

<cpus v='-1'/>
(auto) to for example 4 threads:

<cpus v='4'/>
or less, depending on what CPU you have.
Then you can stop and start the client with
/etc/init.d/FAHClient stop
and
/etc/init.d/FAHClient start
or you can put in a systemd script if want to start the service in a more modern way: viewtopic.php?p=339973#p339973

If you want the FAHControl GUI on a more recent Linux distro, there is a guide to make it work: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31972 and it is planned to upgrade it to python3 in the future.

If you're going to CPU fold, you might be better off with an after-market cooler. If you have a laptop or small PC with a discrete GPU, you might produce more results by folding on the GPU only, without CPU folding. GPUs are more efficient at folding than CPUs, and in a thermally limited machine it might thus be better to not fold on the CPU.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950