F@H failes to open up. It tries to connect but never connect

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

isiahnovak

F@H failes to open up. It tries to connect but never connect

Post by isiahnovak »

Hi,

I am new here. I learned about F@H from Banano subreddit. I tried to use it but the application doesn't open. A page in browser opens and say connecting but never connects. There is no app running in background as checked from Task Manager. There is also no progress in browser page for hours. Also, when tried to open Console and Client EXEs from inside the folder, a CMD prompt appears stating "Reading GPUs" and then quits. I ran the Control EXE that opens a window but nothing happens there.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
JimboPalmer

Re: F@H failes to open up. It tries to connect but never con

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

I worry you may have installed some fake or altered version of the F@H software. Try this.
https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

Also, be sure the F@H application has firewall access to the internet.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

If you did install the official download of the client, did you select to not have it startup with your PC? the default is to do that, which starts the FAHClient process in the background. That is what the Web Control and Advanced Control (FAHControl) need running to connect with.

If you did opt to not allow autostart of FAHClient, then you need to use a shortcut that should have been created. That shortcut includes the proper paths to be used for the data folder for F@h where configuration and work data are kept.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
isiahnovak

Post by isiahnovak »

First of all, thanks for the response.

I downloaded F@H from official site and properly checked what I am downloading. I installed application ans restarted system. I then opened it manually (No startup), it opens a browser page that keeps trying to connect but there is no background process of F@H applications. Is my system missing something. My laptop/processor is supported as checked from GPUs list. When I run application manually from inside folder, a CMD window appears and closes immediately.
PaulTV

Post by PaulTV »

Can't say I'm an expert by any means, but...
* When you look in task manager, do you see FAHClient running? That is the base process the browser page tries to connect to, and which downloads jobs and so on.
* Do you run a firewall other than the default Windows one?
* Are there any hints in C:\ProgramData\FAHClient\log.txt?

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
bruce

Post by bruce »

The FAHClient runs in the background (as a service) and if it fails to start or it does start but is blocked by your firewall, there will be no progress. Post the log per the instructions below.