How do I create a new FAHClient/HideConsole shortcut?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

cybersteel8

How do I create a new FAHClient/HideConsole shortcut?

Post by cybersteel8 »

Hi all, I'm running FAHClient on Windows 10 and I seem to have misplaced my original shortcut.

I have tried running FAHClient executable directly from the C:/Program Files/FAHClient directory but it doesn't seem to be resuming the original work items I have not yet completed. Additionally, a command prompt window is open and executing HideConsole doesn't seem to close it once it is open. I am led to believe that the shortcut that shipped with the application did a lot more than just execute an executable.

The shortcut that the application shipped with must have preloaded a config file (the one in my AppData directory, which also contains my work items and logs etc), and somehow executed both FAHClient and HideConsole to allow it to run in the background. There used to also be a system tray icon that provided some selections when right clicking on it, such as opening the Advanced Control (FAHControl.exe)

Could I get some assistance in re-creating this shortcut to achieve the convenience features it offered?

Thank you for your assistance.
cybersteel8

Re: How do I create a new FAHClient/HideConsole shortcut?

Post by cybersteel8 »

I figured out that to load my AppData config, I will need to set up a shortcut to target the FAHClient executable, but set "Start In" to be the Appdata directory that contains all the work items and logs and config.xml - this seems to load my previous work items successfully, and I see the system tray icon has returned now, which is fantastic progress.

However, the console window remains open. Executing HideConsole doesn't seem to close it. I don't know how to use that executable - does anyone have any advice on this?
ajm

Post by ajm »

My shortcut (Win10 20H2) has the following commands:
Target type: Application
Target location: FAHClient
Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe" --open-web-control
Start in: C:\ProgramData\FAHClient
Shortcut key: None
Run: Normal Window
Comment: empty
bruce

Post by bruce »

Do the programs listed on the target correct?

I have an old installation but it doesn't specify "(x64)"
I don't know if the newer version of WIndows changed anything. Is FAHClient running in the background?

You should NOT see anything open on the desktop and if FAHClient is already running, you shouldn't be able to open a second copy.

The new client specifices a different value for the Start_in string. If you OS has a single user, either one will work but the installation script has no procedure to move the contents of "...\AppData\..." to "ProgramData\...."
You cannot run both at the same time.
cybersteel8

Post by cybersteel8 »

ajm wrote:My shortcut (Win10 20H2) has the following commands:
Target type: Application
Target location: FAHClient
Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe" --open-web-control
Start in: C:\ProgramData\FAHClient
Shortcut key: None
Run: Normal Window
Comment: empty
Ahh, so the HideConsole exe is targeted and the FAHClient.exe is loaded as an argument, very interesting! That's what I was missing. I was loading FAHClient directly.

Thank you for this, it helped a lot.