Intel UHD Graphics? (gen >= 7)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Intel UHD Graphics? (gen >= 7)

Postby rbpeake » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:51 pm

My laptop has Intel UHD graphics, which is "disabled" by FAH. Why is that?

Thanks.
rbpeake
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:39 pm
Location: NYC Metro Area

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby Joe_H » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:21 am

You need to opt in to using the UHD graphics, see the announcement - viewtopic.php?p=346637#p346637. Intel Gen9 iGPUs are now supported, this period is sort of an open beta test period. If you decide to try this out, current drivers will be required, and you may need to add the option gpu-beta set to try to the GPU folding slot.
Image

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7104
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:41 pm
Location: W. MA

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby belloq » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:48 am

Is it recommended to follow Intel's advice and use the latest OEM drivers only?
belloq
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby psaam0001 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:49 am

It is best to get the driver package straight from Intel if you are using Windows. As the version you'll likely get from Microsoft via their update utility may not include libraries that are needed by F@H (OpenCL 1.2). This may be tricky, as you will need to know the core name of your CPU (Comet Lake, for example).

I'll need to do a little bit of homework to find answers for the Linux users, as to where to download the Intel UHD driver packages.

Paul
psaam0001
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 3:02 am
Location: Ruckersville, Virginia, USA

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby bruce » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:54 am

During a (much) earlier state of the Intel beta, I installed the Microsoft drivers for the intel GPU and it worked. Then I quit testing for a while. I tried again a couple days ago and evertthing failed. I'm going to try your suggestion to upgrade the drivers from intel.com. (They may have changed -- I didn't think of that!) Thanks.
bruce
 
Posts: 20888
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby psaam0001 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:41 am

While I'm not running any Intel CPU's with the UHD iGPU, I have offered my suggestion. Given a hypothesis that the GPU/iGPU manufacturer's driver package tries to accommodate as many users as possible. Where as the O/S vendor wants the file size of the package they distribute (from their repository) to be as basic as possible. So that it can be delivered quickly with other critical O/S updates to those users who are only crunching numbers and writing documents with their systems.

Paul
psaam0001
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 3:02 am
Location: Ruckersville, Virginia, USA

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby psaam0001 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Just an additional note for those who are using Linux (regardless of distribution): From what I have so far discovered during a quick search on Intel's support site/forum, drivers for Linux will come from the provider of that distribution, where their iGPU's are concerned.

Paul
psaam0001
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 3:02 am
Location: Ruckersville, Virginia, USA

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby MeeLee » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:51 pm

Linux drivers for Intel IGPs, are the intel-opencl-icd and beignet-opencl-icd drivers.
The latter are for very slow and old IGPs (Atom, Celeron, <6th gen Core i, core2duo).
Not sure if FAH recognizes those older IGPs on the client.
MeeLee
 
Posts: 1279
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby toTOW » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:54 pm

I think Beignet doesn't work for FAH ...
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

Image
User avatar
toTOW
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 5792
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby ThWuensche » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 pm

I have it running on my notebook, using Debian testing. Buster did not have the relevant packages.

Install instruction is:

Code: Select all
apt install intel-opencl-icd
apt install --no-install-recommends ocl-icd-opencl-dev


I had to set module parameter
Code: Select all
enable_guc=2
for i915 kernel module to have a stable running system, otherwise the GPU would freeze any now and then.

As far as I know beignet is not sufficient for FAH.

And don't forget to set the
Code: Select all
gpu-beta=true
ThWuensche
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby k_sze » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:00 am

ThWuensche wrote:I have it running on my notebook, using Debian testing. Buster did not have the relevant packages.

Install instruction is:

Code: Select all
apt install intel-opencl-icd
apt install --no-install-recommends ocl-icd-opencl-dev


I had to set module parameter
Code: Select all
enable_guc=2
for i915 kernel module to have a stable running system, otherwise the GPU would freeze any now and then.

As far as I know beignet is not sufficient for FAH.

And don't forget to set the
Code: Select all
gpu-beta=true


Two questions:
- How do I tell what Intel GPU Gen I have? I'm using Kubuntu 20.04.1. My CPU is i7-8565U
- Where do I put that `enable_guc=2` thing?
k_sze
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 pm

Re: Intel UHD Graphics? (gen >= 7)

Postby PantherX » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 am

Welcome to the F@H Forum k_sze,

The iGPU you have is this: Intel® UHD Graphics for 8th Generation Intel® Processors https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
User avatar
PantherX
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 7020
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Land Of The Long White Cloud

Re: Intel UHD Graphics? (gen >= 7)

Postby Joe_H » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:12 am

k_sze wrote:- How do I tell what Intel GPU Gen I have? I'm using Kubuntu 20.04.1. My CPU is i7-8565U


Looking up your i7 processor indicates it has UHD Graphics 620 for its integrated GPU. Looking at this article that would make it Gen9 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Gra ... tion_(Gen9). Someone else may know the answers for the Linux setup to use this iGPU for folding.
Joe_H
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7104
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:41 pm
Location: W. MA

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby ph0b » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:50 am

k_sze wrote:- Where do I put that `enable_guc=2` thing?

You can set it by creating /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
with this content:
Code: Select all
options i915 enable_guc=2
ph0b
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Re: Intel UHD Graphics?

Postby MeeLee » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 pm

k_sze wrote:
ThWuensche wrote:I have it running on my notebook, using Debian testing. Buster did not have the relevant packages.

Install instruction is:

Code: Select all
apt install intel-opencl-icd
apt install --no-install-recommends ocl-icd-opencl-dev


I had to set module parameter
Code: Select all
enable_guc=2
for i915 kernel module to have a stable running system, otherwise the GPU would freeze any now and then.

As far as I know beignet is not sufficient for FAH.

And don't forget to set the
Code: Select all
gpu-beta=true


Two questions:
- How do I tell what Intel GPU Gen I have? I'm using Kubuntu 20.04.1. My CPU is i7-8565U
- Where do I put that `enable_guc=2` thing?


Beignet drivers are for older than 6th gen IGPs, so you'd be ok with the standard Intel opencl drivers.
the enable_guc may be a function only necessary in Debian.
I run OpenCL tasks (non-fah) on Lubuntu/Ubuntu just fine without the line.
MeeLee
 
Posts: 1279
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Next

Return to Intel iGP Drivers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron