OS X Installer version for Intel 10.5+ v6.29.3

Re: OS X Installer version for Intel 10.5+ v6.29.3

Postby AlanH » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks. I asked this first in the second post of this thread. Pleased to see there's an answer this time around ...
Folding for TeamCFC
- Mac Pro Dual 2.66GHz Xeon, 4 GBytes running Mac SMP2 client
AlanH

Postby Aardvark » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:06 pm

I am experiencing some odd behavior that may be related to the issues being discussed here. I am running the console version of v6.29 so my comments do not apply directly to this Installer Version BUT I believe that they apply to the problems being discussed.

I am one of those experiencing the "early failures" with the a3core v2.17. I have attempted to direct my client to the A1 and A2 core WUs until the a3core issue is resolved. I have done this by removing -smp and -advmethods from my arguments list. The arguments remaining are -local -verbosity 9. I am still being assigned a3core WUs by the Assignment Server. And, some of those a3core do still "fail early", forcing the early return to the Stanford Servers of the incomplete WU.

What I am trying to relate, bottom line, is that what you get, WU-wise, is a crap shoot. The AS does not appear to be using the argument list provided to make an assignment decision. OR, possibly, there is such a mix/shortage of WUs that the Server is just being overpowered by the problem. It seems to me, if I am seeing this sort of problem, those of you that are trying to shake-down the new OSX Installer Version are probably being affected by the same thing but it just isn't obvious.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
Last edited by Aardvark on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is past is prologue!
Aardvark

Postby AlanH » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 pm

I added -advmethods -smp -verbosity 9 to my SysPrefs, and stopped and restarted Folding.

The next unit was an a3, but failed at 0% after 5 mins. Error was "mdrun returned 255"
It then downloaded and completed an a3 unit with no problems, and it's now 34% into the next one.
AlanH

Postby Wrish » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm

What I am trying to relate, bottom line, is that what you get, WU-wise, is a crap shoot. The AS does not appear to be using the argument list provided to make an assignment decision

If you omit both -smp and -advmethods and restart, the client will finish whatever it is working on, and then attempt to download a uniprocessor unit. If it fails, you get a repeating loop error message that says something like "failed to get work unit" because there is no fallback for uniprocessor assignments.

If your client is managing to download a new A3, then your flags must somewhere include both -smp and -advmethods. The machine must not be saving your new configuration file. Are you sure you changed the configuration in the right working folder?
Wrish

Postby tonic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 pm

My machines have received nothing but A1s the last few days with this setup....I don't get it.
tonic

Postby Aardvark » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:22 pm

@Wrish:
I know that what you are saying is what is supposed to happen. It is not what I am experiencing. Go Figure!

I have restarted, AFTER modifying my argument list to exclude -smp and -advmethods. I have quit Terminal and done the restart. I have rebooted the Mac and restarted Terminal. Still received A3core WU's. I have also received some A1core WUs with this configuration. It is just NOT a quarantee that you will not receive an A3core WU. I have not experienced the repeating loop situation as part of this current problem. I know of which you speak though. I have seen it in regard to obtaining OSX PPC WUs for v5.02. In that case it is a result of the degradation of that Folding Option.

I run the console version (as I mentioned before) and I only have ONE working folder. I have never configured so as to run multiple clients so I have no idea where the little devils can be hiding. I only use Increase to monitor progress. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I had the option, I'd look the AS Server over real close but that is not an allowed option......:-)
Aardvark

Postby Wrish » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:22 am

AFTER modifying my argument list to exclude -smp and -advmethods

By this you mean -configonly, right? Would be helpful to post a log of client starting up.

Advmethods can be invoked in two places in client.cfg - extra_parms and clienttype - and also from the script/shortcut that starts FAH.
Wrish

Postby Aardvark » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:18 am

@Wrish;
I believe that you and I have some wires crossed somehow.

In the Terminal window, the info that I enter to cause the Client to start is:
./fah6 - local -verbosity 9

nothing else. The -configonly process has been previously executed.

And this all having happened, the AS will deliver a A3core WU to me.....
Aardvark

Postby AlanH » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 am

I've had multiple "mdrun returned 255" errors after the last a3 WU was returned. Mostly at 0%, last one was at 3%
AlanH

Postby Ravage7779 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Someone mentioned that removing the -smp flag would net you a uniprocessor unit. Not true when running fah on OS X with an intel chip. Fah is smp whether you ask for it or not. The PG never ported the uniprocessor intel client to the mac.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
Ravage7779

Postby Aardvark » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:08 pm

@Ravage7779;

Thanks for that info. It would seem to explain quite a bit about what is being discussed here.
Aardvark

Postby tonic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

I checked all of my logs and everything is running with the "-smp -verbosity 9" set of flags. I have advmethods selected (previously ran -configonly). Is anyone else able to grab A3s using this installer? I don't understand why I keep getting A1s everywhere...
tonic

Postby AlanH » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Is anyone else able to grab A3s using this installer? I don't understand why I keep getting A1s everywhere...

As stated above, I'm getting only a3 units using the installer version, since I added -advmethods -verbosity 9 -smp in System Prefs->Flding@Home->Advanced->Extra Parameters. Also as stated above, I've seen several early failures at 0% to 3%, error message: "mdrun returned 255". However, I have now folded two complete units and 80% of the current unit since setting these flags. Before I did that I was only seeing a1 units with this version.
AlanH

Postby Beberg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 pm

This is now on the downloads page. Thanks for the testing.
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Postby tonic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 pm

AlanH wrote:
Is anyone else able to grab A3s using this installer? I don't understand why I keep getting A1s everywhere...

As stated above, I'm getting only a3 units using the installer version, since I added -advmethods -verbosity 9 -smp in System Prefs->Flding@Home->Advanced->Extra Parameters. Also as stated above, I've seen several early failures at 0% to 3%, error message: "mdrun returned 255". However, I have now folded two complete units and 80% of the current unit since setting these flags. Before I did that I was only seeing a1 units with this version.

Sorry, I missed your post. I addded the -advmethods flag this morning and my machine successfully picked up an A3 after uploading the A1. Weird as I swore I had specified that when running the config from the command line earlier.

Anyway, its' working now. Thanks for the help!
tonic

Previous

Return to Mac OS X Beta