Linux HFM.NET-monitoring remote boxen

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

hrsetrdr

Linux HFM.NET-monitoring remote boxen

Post by hrsetrdr »

I'd like to hear from Linux users who are using HFM.NET to monitor their FAH clients, specifically those clients on machines on the home/office network that are not on the same machine as that which HFM.NET is installed. After attempting SMB to no avail, I turned to using NFS, which was successful; this on Debian Lenny, Squeeze and Testing/Unstable.
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues
Russ_64
Hardware configuration: Dual Xeon E5645 (12C/24T) / 24Gb DDR3 - VMware ESXi 6.7.0
FAH v7.5.1

Re: Linux HFM.NET-monitoring remote boxen

Post by Russ_64 »

I run HFM.net on my Windows machine (to monitor local GPU and SMP) and can also monitor my Linux box (for SMP) by installing Samba on it. Note - I think you have to use the latest Samba version 3.3 if you also use Windows 7. Just install it (or update it) and then "share" your Folding folder so that the other machine can see it. HFM.net allows the use of \\Servername\folder1\folder2 to access it.
ImageImageImage
parkut
Hardware configuration: Running exclusively Linux headless blades. All are dedicated crunching machines.

Post by parkut »

I have my folding machines upload their client.cfg, queue.dat and FAHlog.txt files to a common server via ftp every 6 minutes. Each machine's files are loaded into a separate sub-directory. This works well for local or remote machines. If bandwidth is an issue, you can adjust the upload frequency as needed.

The entire uploaded directory is made available to my windows desktop via network samba share. HFM.NET reads the files from that network share. For example: //192.168.1.130/william/work-clients/q01-smp/
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

Thanks for your replies, sorry I hadn't responded sooner. All my folding rigs are running Debian, so no Windows box to run HFM.net on for monitoring in the conventional way. However, HFM.net runs on Linux using the Mono framework, instructions for setup liked from the HFM.net google code page: http://groups.google.com/group/hfm-net/ ... untu?pli=1
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues
chrisretusn
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

I am running 100% Linux, Slackware to be specific, both 64-bit and 32-bit versions. I am running HFM.NET on my Slackware64 machine and use it to monitor four other folding machines. I use NFS.
Folding on Slackware Linux.
markfw

Post by markfw »

So what is the directory on the linux box to share, and how to create the share ? I have a samba username created, but first I can't find the directory, and second, I don't know the syntax on creating the samba share/
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

markfw wrote:So what is the directory on the linux box to share, and how to create the share ? I have a samba username created, but first I can't find the directory, and second, I don't know the syntax on creating the samba share/
Any methods mentioned here in this 7+ year old topic do not apply to the current folding client and the current version of HFM.NET. The files mentioned are ones that were used by version 6 of the client software. You are more likely to find solutions in the more recent posts of this topic - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9903. Also check the project site mentioned in this post by the utilities author - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9903&start=600#p283330, or the Google group - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... -PC84vRSrY - mentioned in the post after that.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3