mDSL and notfred's vmSMP

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

kiore

mDSL and notfred's vmSMP

Post by kiore »

Due to various problems have not been able to get ADSL connected in my new apartment, out of frustration connected an mDSL, mobile wireless device (CDMA protocol). Now can connect to folding and run other clients but my notfred's vmSMP refuses to work. Is this just an issue with mDSL or is it possible to config it to work? Know there are problems with mobile connections, am already using the extension aerial.
Still live in hope that my already paid for ADSL modem will appear (and work) one day...

kiore.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
bruce

Re: mDSL and notfred's vmSMP

Post by bruce »

Strictly guessing here, but did your other clients configure a new device for the mDSL "modem" hardware? If so, there's a good chance that the notfred system doesn't have the device driver. It's a seriously stripped down version of Linux.
kiore

Post by kiore »

When I try to launch get message: "the network bridge on device is down.. because of bridged ethernet interface.." seems to mean it does like the mobile network, will launch but not download vm..
No, my gpu's and cpu's just launched normally as if I was wired. (other than a series of crashes and unstables due to I think damaged in transit RAM, working now with some old RAM I was carrying)
Wondering if anyone else had managed to work these on mobile connection, or my service is just poor , have read other people having trouble with mobile connections and the vm seems to need a very stable continuous link to operate.
Am running 4x consoles instead on advanced scientific core for the moment, unsure whether a win SMP will like this connection either.
Hope I get my ADSL one day.. "Bukra" (tomorrow..) as they say here.
Happy to be back folding something anyway.
kiore.

nyerf
Hardware configuration: Core2 Q6600@3.2
8Gb DDR2
GeForce 8800GT
GeForce 8600GT
Win7 RTM x64

Macbook (Black 2nd Gen)

Post by nyerf »

Where are you getting that message? Is it in your virtualization software or in the console of the client? If it is in the virtualization software, what software are you using?(VMware Player, Server, Virtualbox,..)
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

Try running vmware using NAT rather than bridged.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
kiore

Post by kiore »

Message is coming from the vm console window as it tries to download from stanford. Using VM player, free version.
Unsure what "NAT rather than bridged" means, will try a search on that.
Currently away on leave and not back to the Sudan till later next week and have a new system to build on return but want to try and get this working.
Still the guys with my phone connection and ADSL haven't arrived, but I haven't given up hope quite yet after only 6 weeks..
kiore.

Addit, OK searched NAT, so probably not, unless my phone company does something strange, private subscriber, single connection mobile wireless internet via a usb dongle. Other thing is that due to sanctions some sites refuse to accept connections with Sudanese IP addresses, sure this is actually directly an address problem, perhaps I need to config to have a static address, somehow..

MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

NAT is netowrk adress translation iirc and means the device will share the current network connections of the host, without host interferance. Bridged means the hosts acts like a bridge between client os and internet.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Look in your vmx file for something like

Code: Select all

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "vlance"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0" 
You see this is using NAT, but can set it to bridged or host as well manually.

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
kiore

Post by kiore »

Thanks MTM, can't do this at present as away on R&R, but will definitely look at that on return.
Do I just try entering "nat" in that window if it says "bridged"? Haven't tried reconfiging the notfred's yet, so absolute noob here.
Would really like to get back to using vmSMPs and now have a 2nd system build underway.
kiore.

MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

I would assume so :) My vmx says nat and works and bridged has always been problematic with folding as I've heard so I choose nat from the start ( but Im using the workstation trail atm, no reboot I think it will keep working! ).
shdbcamping
Hardware configuration: XPS 720 Q6600 9800GX2 3gig RAM
750W primary PSU 650W Aux VGA PSU

Post by shdbcamping »

Kiore,
I'm very new to VM SMP Folding, so take this for what it's worth in hopes it can give you an idea on a different way to go :wink:

I recently started NotFred's on 2 separate quad core machines,

I got a Vista64 to get one VMWare instance going with bridged just fine. The second instance gave me a similar Ethernet 0... not bridged... message. I shut down the VM2 instance and tried, and tried (repeat as neccessary :lol: ). I finally went to devices in the title bar for the VM an decided to choose NAT. I shut it down with Troubleshoot\Power off and Exit. When I restarted the VM again it worked fine and still is. One VM running as Bridged and one as NAT. OK, that was the good news.

I have another machine XP64 that I was messing with Networking settings under windows before Notfreds and VMPlayer. I cannot get Bridged to work at all for either VM instance :shock: . I did get both to work by selecting NAT as above for both. My problem is that one will run fast and the other will run at over 1 hour/%. Doing the math I decided that I won't be able to guarantee a deadline is made as VM drops out occassionally for me. So I set the VMX.exe to run on all 4 cores for the faster one with TaskManager. It is actually a little bit faster so That's how I'm running the VM on my QX6850. Sooner or later I'll figure it out. But for now "For-sure faster" is better than "maybe more" ( :wink: for those that are following that argument). It is also turning better speed than a comparable A1 under windows, so it's still all good :) .

@Kiore,
A2's IMO, tricky and initial PITA, but worth the effort.

@All others,
If you've figured this one out, make a racket... Science is losing a NotFred :lol:
kiore

Post by kiore »

@shdbcamping, thanks was running 2x instances of notfred's vmSMP while connected to ADSL in France and Australia, when I arrived in Sudan the only client that wouldn't work was the vm, console gpu's and uniprocessors work no problem. Only change is that I am now running on a cdma mobile (cell) network, currently out of country and back in France for R&R, so when I return next week will try this, also want to try the vm on 4 cores trick.
Now also have a new Phenom II 955 as well as my sig 940, so keen to have that at full potential when I finish my new build.. couldn't help myself was supposed to be a cheap dual to power my gpu's..but.. So now 2 quads in need of work :mrgreen:
kiore.

MtM

Post by MtM »

Mhm setting affinity to four cores for the main vm host application works to distribute the load from the simulated two cores over the actual four? And the performance impact is neglicable?

Hey shdbcamping, why not post some numbers that would be an interesting thread ( hint hint! ) I'm sure!
shdbcamping

Post by shdbcamping »

MtM wrote:Mhm setting affinity to four cores for the main vm host application works to distribute the load from the simulated two cores over the actual four? And the performance impact is neglicable?

Hey shdbcamping, why not post some numbers that would be an interesting thread ( hint hint! ) I'm sure!
It is not a large advance, at least not even close to justify running only one NotFreds on a Quad core :wink: . I only posted that since it is nominal if you can only get One running :) . And with only one VM unning over all 4 cores, it does not even influence the GPU's or the computer usability. I was "absolutely not" posting that as a way to increase Science production :wink: .

EDIT: Sorry, It is a bit more only because it is less affected by the Computer choices in choosing cores at any given time. I can say that the average CPU utilitization of the Single VM instance is over 50 % of the 100% total for the 4 cores. Versus 41-45% with the 2 core binding. This is by watching the XP/Vista Task Manager Performance Tab. I know that may not say it all :D . But it's all I have time for :lol:
Last edited by shdbcamping on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtM

Post by MtM »

Ahh but take a look at my virtual box thread, that's I feel looking so darn good I'm going to remove vmware from my system ( and in my limited experience, it's as easy to set up as the nf appliance in vmware ( or better said the iso )).

Maybe you could still post some of this info with the numbers associated with them, every donor likes seeing numbers and you can persuade allot of them if you show them the right one's ;)
shdbcamping

Post by shdbcamping »

MtM wrote:Ahh but take a look at my virtual box thread, that's I feel looking so darn good I'm going to remove vmware from my system ( and in my limited experience, it's as easy to set up as the nf appliance in vmware ( or better said the iso )).

Maybe you could still post some of this info with the numbers associated with them, every donor likes seeing numbers and you can persuade allot of them if you show them the right one's ;)
PM me the link. I'm game. i just am trying to work 10X7 days in case the "bubble" bursts in my current job :( . I don't have a lot of time for the Data portion :wink: . I just want to make sure when my world tanks, I'm prepared and the science doesn't have to... The Wife... not Entirely on board... i can always find another Wife :lol: