Show Me [how to] use q-Fix in Linux and Win SMP_Clients plz

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

MoneyGuyBK

Show Me [how to] use q-Fix in Linux and Win SMP_Clients plz

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

Hi ... If this has been covered elsewhere, please point me to it.

* I am very newbee when it comes to Linux, currently running Ubuntu (in a VM environment)
I would like step-by step instructions as to how to install and use q-Fix in both Windows and Linux SMP_Clients; please & thank you.

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
bruce

Re: Show Me [how to] use q-Fix in Linux and Win SMP_Clients plz

Post by bruce »

MoneyGuyBK wrote:Hi ... If this has been covered elsewhere, please point me to it.

* I am very newbee when it comes to Linux, currently running Ubuntu (in a VM environment)
I would like step-by step instructions as to how to install and use q-Fix in both Windows and Linux SMP_Clients; please & thank you.
It's somewhere but it's easier to tell you than to find it.

On Linux
If you're in a GUI environment, open a Terminal window or otherwise start from the text window.
Change Directory to the place that FAH was installed. e.g.- if it's in ~./FAH, enter cd ~./FAH
Qfix and queue.dat should already be present in that directory. It's good to confirm that before proceeding with the ls command.
Run qfix and observe what the output says.

In Windows, it's exactly the same except the descriptions are different. The Terminal window is the CMD window. The directory name will be spelled differently but you still type it after the cd command (plus a space) to change to that directory. You still should have placed qfix.exe in the same place as queue.dat. The ls command is replaced by the dir command. You still have to run the qfix program in the text window, not by double-clicking it because the only way to read the output is in the CMD window. You must see the output from running the program because if you run it again, the fix has already been made.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

On a Windows machine, I just made a desktop shortcut to qfix. I've had to use it a few times, and it's always worked fine- at least it looks like it from this end.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

How to submit partial credits with qfix and the windows SMP client: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191

Now a sticky post. -7im

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
GTron

Post by GTron »

OBTW if qfix is NOT already present in your FAH directory (it wasn't in my Linux v6.02beta1), you can obtain the current version from: http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/?target=so ... -tools.plc

Greg :wink: