Ubuntu 10.04 Install Script

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

DTHCND

Ubuntu 10.04 Install Script

Post by DTHCND »

This is a basic Folding@Home install script. It works on both SMP and Uniprocessor... It was originally made by jpkotta. I have took this script and made some modifications, so it may now be used on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, but at the moment, it was designed mostly for Lucid, but MAY work on other Linux Distros... To use it and install Folding@Home do the following (Note: It automatically installs all dependencies if you do not have them, such as 32-Bit libraries. This script was not fully tested! Run at own risk!)

WARNING: MAKE SURE YOU RUN UPDATE MANGER FIRST! THE SCRIPT MAY ENCOUNTER MANY ERRORS IF YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT UP TO DATE!

DO ALL THE FOLLOWING IN TERMINAL! MAY BE LOCATED IN Applications > Accessories > Terminal

Download the tarball

Code: Select all

Please use alternative method!
Alternative Method: Download it from http://www.mediafire.com/?422yb28tbhyk5yt then drag & drop it to your home folder.

Extract the tarball

tar xvf fah_install.tar.gz
Go to the directory with the scripts.

cd fah_install
If you wish to read the 'Read Me'

less README
If you wish to install it to the root system (recommended)

sudo ./install.sh install
Or if you wish to install to user

./install.sh install
The installer will not immediately start the client.

If you installed to the system, run

sudo /etc/init.d/foldingathome start
If you installed as a regular user, run

~/opt/foldingathome/foldingathome start
Reconfigure Settings
You can change options for all clients by running the reconfigure script.

If you installed to the system, run

sudo /opt/foldingathome/reconfigure.sh
If you installed as a regular user, run
~/opt/foldingathome/reconfigure.sh

More info can be found on README... If you need help you can ask me on the forum... If you come across any errors, you can report them here and I will TRY to fix them... If you find it works on more Distros feel free to say which ones!
Last edited by DTHCND on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DTHCND

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Install Script

Post by DTHCND »

At the moment if it does work on of Distros the will have to be Debian based or use sudo as the root... Also currently this has not been tested when installing to user... It was only tested when installing to user...
DTHCND

Post by DTHCND »

Current file hosting site corrupt file when using wget... Please use alternative method for download as listed... Edit: If anyone knows any wget friendly file hosting sites can you please tell me, thanks!
smoking2000

Post by smoking2000 »

I guess you didn't google and found out that finstall already existed to save you the work to write your own :)
DTHCND

Post by DTHCND »

Ya the last time I used it was a long time ago... So I'm not exactly sure, but if I remember right the SMP option was integrated into at the time... Guess it is now... So the only differences I can see are this will set it up as a service... Idk if finstall has that option or not... Like I said in the read me (and I think in OP) I'm not the original maker of this script so I don't fully know what ALL the differences are, I just decided to update the fah_install script for JPKotta... :P...