Bootable Folding@Home?

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

DTHCND

Bootable Folding@Home?

Post by DTHCND »

I was jus thinking Folding might be faster if it was bootable and didn't have Windows/Linux/Apple processes running in the background... So I decided to google, bootable folding@home... And I came across this http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?p= ... =15&show=1, has anyone tried this??? I am also unsure whether it boots off the USB or CD, or if it just erases the whole HDD and uses the USB/CD as an install base? If anyone could clarify, maybe give there opinions... I'm going to continue to google this... I don't think I am going to try this anyways...
bruce

Re: Bootable Folding@Home?

Post by bruce »

Folding@home is an application that runs in Windows/Linux/MacOS/PS3-os so one of them must be present. The closest you'll come to a bootable version of FAH is any one of several combinations of an extremely lean version of Linux plus FAH. The link that you referenced, in fact, is one of them, installing both Linux and FAH to a bootable CD. I've used a couple of them and they certainly have their place, if that's what you're looking for. You can find more information here in our 3rd party forum. Check the "Tools List"
DTHCND

Post by DTHCND »

Ok thanks... I might give it a try... See how fast it is...
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

You can also look for notfred's folding CD ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
DTHCND

Post by DTHCND »

Ok thanks... I'm actually going to look for it, bacause my BIOS says it supports USB, but it doesn't want to boot it... Screen just goes blank, so might try CD... Just to make sure it won't effect any of the OSs on my HDD will it?
DTHCND

Post by DTHCND »

I tried it out in a VM, and put the wrong gateway... I fixed that now, but while the console was frozen, I noticed it was attempting to download version 6.02... If I am right it would prolly just be searching for WUs and not find any... How do I get it to download 6.29?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Assuming you're using a USB stick for backup:

1. Download the 6.29 linux console client
2. Copy fah6 to the USB stick into \folding\1 ... if that tree stucture doesn't already exist then create it

When notfred starts up it restores the backup folder from the USB stick to memory and when it tries to link to the downloaded 6.02 it will fail and use 6.29