fTray, extended console for folding from the system tray

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

fTray, extended console for folding from the system tray

Post by MtM »

Home page -> http://code.google.com/p/mtray/

*So, what exactly does it do and how?

It's replaces the standard console window ( dos prompt ) with the view from the top image. From there, and from the system tray you can control the client ( stop/start ). It offers information about progress, eta, current protein and the recent wu history ( only from queue in this revision ) and ppd.

Console clients and console's running as service are supported, download the zipped executable and drop it in the folder of the client. Does not support renamed clients!

What is not supported!

Does not alter the standard behaviour of clients, will not configure gpu clients to run as service, will not succesfully install smp2 6.30+ as service if not started as admin ( vista/win7 -> right click fTray.exe - run as admin ).

Will be extended upon in the near future, see google code page for details.

Support for evaluation will be given through this thread or google code page, bug reports can be given on both locations and should include the following details:
  • Client type and version
  • Operating system
  • Complete fahlog
  • Installed .net version (3.5 is required)
  • Description of event with if possible screenshots if behaviour is repeatable
All reports will be taken into acount, but those who can provide full documentation will get a higher priority.

Feature request are welcom.

Mod Note: Per author, this is no longer an active project.
Last edited by MtM on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 12 times in total.
gwildperson

Re: EULA compliant method of interacting with console clients

Post by gwildperson »

In simple terms, can you tell me why I might want to use your program? I've been able to configure my clients without any special programs, but there must be some (unseen to me, at least) why you'd put so much work into redoing what has already been done.

I don't mean any criticism. I'm not a programmer so about 95% of what you said makes no sense to me. (That's my problem, not yours.) I'm just curious if I'm missing something really useful because of my lack of understanding.
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Self explanatory if you read the text I think. It's mostly a showcase at this time, there is a deeper underlaying issue I wanted to target with the complete application this was part of. For that you might need to search this section of the forums for an older thread of mine. As that project could not be completed by me alone since the nesting problems were to great to untangle and I lost sense of commitment due to the many issues, there have been those who told me it was not possible, or at least that my code was not working at all. Which was true, the complete application mend to install, configure as advised by PG, manage through a single GUI multiple clients did not work outside of my testing environment.

I'm working now to make this tray application a bit more extensive, I'm including monitoring code from my old project, and when that is done I will keep supporting this application for those who want to keep their desktop less cluttered with console's without wanting to install the official tray client.

There will be added functions my application will offer over the standard existing tray client as well. Atleast, with the current client, who knows what v7 might bring :)

So, while I might be undertaking a now perhaps waisted effort, I do not mind doing so. As to what I might offer which the stand alone client does not, just wait and see ( I'll be updating this thread later today I hope, if not tomorrow ). It would have been much further along if I didn't make the mistaken assumption that my local copy of my old source was the latest, I spend some hours fixing problems I thought I fixed before, and I only this morning decided to check my googlecode page to verify if I was using the latest source.. I was not :lol:

Hope this already answers your question, if not please give me a more direct question. (edit: took some even longer stuff out :lol: )
Last edited by MtM on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtM

Post by MtM »

That is an extended console.. not as extended as I can make it and has some features not fully working like ppd with kfactor but that shouldn't be to hard to add.

If I say it works, I do mean it works but I tested it only on win 7 x64, with 6.30 smp client and gpu console. EOC feeds are already included but not used, there is an frame event and eue event but they are also not used. All part of maxFah which I could not finish seem to work now that I been taking them apart, I might start adding those features again.

Btw, gwildperson, when you said: "redoing what has already been done" I didn't think to much of it then, but now I do wonder what you mend with that. There are no other tools on this forum which do anything I discussed, or show here. If there are please pm me with the links, if they are on other forums but not here, maybe the reason that they are not here is enough.
MtM

Re: fTray, extended console for folding from the system tray

Post by MtM »

New build updated, no more resource hogging going on, event driven update ( which means, frame based, eue based, active queue index changed ). Which also means the logwindow will only update on those events ( eg will not always be sync with fahlog.txt ).

I have issues syncing with the repository so I can't upload the changed code. I already have reset it once to upload some minor changes but the idea of the repository is to be able to see changes and if needed roll them back ( not depending on me keeping local backups, which I do but I'm known to loose them often :( ).

If someone who is familiar with tortiose svn and google code would want to offer some guidance it would be appriciated allot :)
MtM

Post by MtM »

Well I think I found a workable solution, I only totally messed up the structure so I needed another reset :( Future revisions should go without problems.

Edit: I send a request for a second pair of eyes to a well respected member here, as my ppd function will not do what it's supposed to :oops:
MtM

Post by MtM »

The ppd measurements was a simple rounding issue, the second pair of eyes did not want to help though so I did it myself. To bad, thought we were here for another reason :)

Dynamic updates almost done, will now correctly handle
  • New frame events, with keeping statistics as an option
  • EUE events, with notification icon, EUE summary window
  • New project event, projectinfo will be updated if an unknown project is started, when not in the summary it is retried every 10% completion ( might have to adjust this )
  • Project end event ( will include an optional 'play sound' option )

When changing the queue index, effective ppd based on the issued and completed time is displayed. The project uploaded event is only triggered if the client is running when the application is also running, and would require an extra field in the statistics ( it will be done, it's not yet done though ;) ).

I asked in another thread if a now not used field in the queue index can be used by the new server code to indicate if a person is eligible for lcfactor bonus multiplier.

Project browser list is now included.

Program will store information in the %appdata% folder so it can be shared among other clients. ( working around concurrent write operations now ).

Edit:

Only noticed I'm not using the right serializers, been using old snippets throughout the project. Will update since I'm working on project file's and summary's now :)
MtM

Post by MtM »

I spoke to soon, EUE event's not properly tracked atm ( and I got no reliable way to debug it since I need to force an EUE by upping my shaders so high I can not debug it since my desktop locks up as well ). The client/core is just to stable to force an EUE to happen.

I have added EOC xml feed code, but it's not converted to using the right serializers nor is the statistics form completed so it just stores the data without an option to display it. The signature image from the systemray is working ( need to make it popup after each update ( optional )).

I will now update the binary on the google page, it's been very much older then my current working source code ( svn - export - active development copy ).

I should keep a better changelog, but it's been mostly feature adding and fixing so far, and there haven't been that many downloads and no reply in this thread so I guess it's not that needed yet :)

Should note that most settings are still not function, start with windows, autostart client, use eoc feeds ( is on auto now until I fix the serializers and the stats form/class ). The eoc feeds are time based and can not be forced, the signature image is stored locally and can be refreshed in 15m or will be refreshed after an update.
MtM

Post by MtM »

Changelog on google code page :)

Also would like to correct the timespan in which an refresh is manually allowed -> never!

XML feeds and signatures are downloaded automatically and based on the 3 hour refresh interval.