FahMon monitoring, not on same network

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Decembermouse

FahMon monitoring, not on same network

Post by Decembermouse »

Is there any way to monitor a computer's progress if it isn't on the same network I'm on? I've got Folding running on a variety of relatives' PCs who have agreed it's a good cause, and I'd like to be able to monitor all the clients but can't figure out how.
él Mero

Re: FahMon monitoring, not on same network

Post by él Mero »

Hi Decembermouse, welcome to the forum!

One way is to install Hamachi on your and your relatives computers (equalls a LAN) and tell them to share the FAH-folders. But there are probably smarter ways. SSH probably works too.
smoking2000

Post by smoking2000 »

For this scenario I wrote FCI, it monitors remote clients by having the clients send their data to a central web server periodically.

Folder sharing over the Internet is not really firewall friendly, so the remote clients send their info over HTTP, just like the FAH client does :)
él Mero

Post by él Mero »

You can also check out the Monitoring section of the Tools list.
fixray

Post by fixray »

Check Out this free web based client http://www.logmein.com Seems to work very well, but you will need to have a user name and password to access the PC, but if you are like me you can also use this to help them with computer problems. The free version offers remote control of the client PC and just use the standard FAHmon locally to monitor performance. 8-)
Just create an account and on your next visit add the client to your relative's computer. Note on your first remote log in I recommend setting the preferences not to lock PC on exit or timeout. I have seen this cause systems to reboot if no password is configured. :egeek:
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I'm monitoring a webserver by downloading queue.dat, fahlog.txt and unitinfo.txt with a scheduled FTP task (I set the task too 20 minutes interval).

It's easy to do, and it's working quite well :)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Hyperlife

Post by Hyperlife »

toTOW wrote:I'm monitoring a webserver by downloading queue.dat, fahlog.txt and unitinfo.txt with a scheduled FTP task (I set the task too 20 minutes interval).
I'm doing something like this, except I'm using scp instead of FTP. All of my rigs copy their data to a central server every 10 minutes, and FahMon reads the data over an ssh-tunneled Samba connection.