notfred's folding cd running SMP under VMPlayer

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Re: notfred's folding cd running SMP under VMPlayer

Post by theMASS »

I was looking at the boot log on a notfred box I have (running native not VM'd) and I see the clock does use HPET. I then looked at a VMWare setup and I don't see it using HPET.

Something else to try is adding:

tools.syncTime = true

to the fold64.vmx file Open the .vmx file with wordpad (not notepad) and just paste it in.

The latest version released by notfred was done while he was in the process of adding additional VMWare functionality and there is unfinished (work in progress) code that may be the cause of the issue.
ArVee

Post by ArVee »

Nope, still no joy. I dbl-checked the fold64.vmx file after too, and the new entry is in there.
Same deal as before though, the first 15-minute checkpoint showed up not even 5 minutes in, timestamped 16:57 when the system clock in the lower corner showed the correct time of 16:41. Frustrating. One thing I noticed as it started and was making its frequent log entries, in case this makes someone think of something: it managed to timestamp a line 16:42 while the system clock still showed 16:41. I guess that's just a further example of how fast it's running and that it starts doing it early, not really a clue to anything I suppose.

@TheMASS: I did get an error message from notfred even though it's processing, and this is a new one I think: "mount: mounting /dev/hda1 on /hda failed: No such device or address Disk image is corrupt, not restoring

Now it says it's 17:27 and it's 16:56, grrrrr. Anybody??
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

If this was fah related, you'd probably have several new suggestions to try by now. However, this is a 3rd Party App. You might get better answers in the VM support forum. Of if you think it's the notfred tool, try that forum.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
theMASS
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)

Post by theMASS »

This should solve the issue

AMD Dual Core Optimizer
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... er_113.zip
ArVee

Post by ArVee »

@7im: patience please while I communicate the latest failure to TheMASS and get directions to a more appropriate venue for this as you suggest

@TheMASS: nope, I installed that driver along with all the other ones when I built this system. I removed almost all the other ones when I was optimizing the machine, but left that one on. I re-installed it to be sure, but I still have the crazy clock. I'd appreciate the benefit of any further ideas on this weirdness, but please suggest a better forum and I'll head over there if there are any more ideas. I'm still up for fixing this.

Thanks to all who tried to help.
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

Sorry for the delay...

The [notfred's home forum] has threads dedicated to notfred's software and are regularly monitored by notfred. ...also where I got the suggestion from my last post.

Here is a link to the thread I relayed your issue to. There should be someone able to help there.
New release of diskless folding suite

There are other threads that talk about AMD clock issues and VMWare, so a search in that Forum is a good idea too.

Mod edit. -7im
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

I have one of my diskless folders not able to connect.

Connecting to http://www.stanford.edu [171.67.22.26] :80
wget: server returned error 404 : http/1.1 404 not found

Same with 171.67.22.34 - 171.67.22.36 and others.

This a notfred error, or some more of the on going Stanford server issues?

Sometimes I can ping it, and locate on IE, and then I can't.
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

RAH wrote:I have one of my diskless folders not able to connect.

Connecting to http://www.stanford.edu [171.67.22.26] :80
wget: server returned error 404 : http/1.1 404 not found

Same with 171.67.22.34 - 171.67.22.36 and others.

This a notfred error, or some more of the on going Stanford server issues?

Sometimes I can ping it, and locate on IE, and then I can't.
If you post your question to the above referenced forum, I will help you troubleshoot. I think it's a networking issue but need more info on your setup.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

If you post your question to the above referenced forum, I will help you troubleshoot. I think it's a networking issue but need more info on your setup.
I don't quite understand why this important support has to be diverted to an outside forum,
when there are so many folks using this method, while donating valuable resources,
and there are also folks here, that are willing to help with support.

Diverting to another forum makes this valuable information hard to find.
It seems that it would be better to have fah info in one location,
making folk's efforts to support the Folding @ Home project easier for everyone.

By present standard, should we also divert all questions asked
about the fine and valuable FahMon application to an off site location?

Personally, I don't think so. :)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

I think you may have assumed too much, Flathead74.

I am not diverting anyone. I am simply pointing out that notfred does zero support of his application on the Folding Forum. And unless he uses a different name on this forum, notfred isn't even registered here. Otherwise you wouldn't see a thread full of posts by theMASS.

I am suggesting that people will get much better help by going to the forum where the author of each individual application chooses to offer support. For notfred's tool, that is NOT the Folding Forum. If notfred wants to start answering questions over here, I will stop pointing people away from the Folding Forum for the support of notfred's diskless tools.

It's quite the opposite for for the Fahmon application. The author of that application is very active on the Folding Forum.

The author of EMIII was very active here.

The maintainer of things like qfix and qd is very active here.

But authors for applications like Increase are not so active here, so if asked, I'd probably point them away from the Folding Forum.

It all depends on were I think they can get the best help.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

7im, I don't think that I was assuming anything actually,
other than that sometimes problems are not always what they seem.

For example, as has been noted in the past, when folks report problems but do not report system configurations.
Many things are related.

Sure, in the case of notfred's, if one is not able to connect in order to download work,
there is a chance that links are incorrect.

I think you could agree that this is not always the case though,
especially since we have experienced as many server problems as we have.
The other forum might actually provide little if any help in this case.

Unless notfred is secretly helping with server support at Stanford? :)

Not to split hairs, but I think there is a difference between a tool that monitors,
and one that actually helps produce work by making configuration easier.
(I don't even use notfred's but can understand how some might prefer it.)

It is not my intent to offend anyone here.
7im

Post by 7im »

You can split hairs, but be sure to get the correct hair. ;)

My original post to divert was when the topic was the clocks in the VM not matching the system clocks. That's obviously NOT a fah problem. That's either VM related, notfred related, or motherboard/cpu related. The best answers to those are elsewhere.

The topic of not connecting came up later in the conversation. I posted nothing to divert the questions or answers on that topic. And you are correct, that could be EITHER a fah server related issue, or a notfred/VM related configuration issue.

My suggestion is to check the Server Status link above. If the server is not down, then the mostly likely answer is again, not with FAH. ;) If the server is down for more than a short while, please let us know. We'll track down someone to give it a nudge.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Flathead74 wrote:Unless notfred is secretly helping with server support at Stanford? :)

Not to split hairs, but I think there is a difference between a tool that monitors,
and one that actually helps produce work by making configuration easier.
(I don't even use notfred's but can understand how some might prefer it.)

It is not my intent to offend anyone here.
No offense taken.

You missed 7im's point, though.

It's not what type of tool that's the question, it's about where to find the best support. Notfred's has some really good tools, but they're also rather complex. Combine it with VMPlayer and questions about it are often difficult to answer.

If the people who know those answers log on to forum A frequently and rarely logon to forum B, the best way to find good support is to go to forum A -- or convince those experts to participate in forum B. Either one works for me. 7im is simply saying that experts rarely visit this forum and you're more likely to find them at notfred's forum.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

7im, my original post was not even in response to your much earlier post, nor did I mention it.
My post was in response to theMass's post.

Please... you are acting like I am accusing you of something.
Rest assured I am not.

Besides, I was easily able to discern the differences between the much earlier problem,
and the April 3rd post that theMass was responding to.

Bruce, no I did not miss 7im's point. He made it very clearly.

It seems that now you are both assuming that I was referring to last month's post, of a different problem.
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

New version of notfred's suite has been released. It now supports backing up to a local hard drive when running in a VM.