Folding@home cluster?

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Re: Folding@home cluster?

Postby 7im » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:53 pm

You still fold on the CPU because every PC with a GPU still has a CPU that can make a valuable contribution. Every little bit helps.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby k1wi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:24 pm

It's not throughput that is the issue, but the latency.
blub wrote:Would It be possible to Use an PCI-Express Slot for Interconection? I don't know PCI-E well enough to tell if PC-PC connections are possible, but PCI-E 3.0 x16 would provide upt to 15Gigabytes/second, about 120x as fast as Gigabit Lan. On the other side why bother with CPU folding anymore, when it is possible to fold anything on a GPU?
k1wi

Postby Nathan_P » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:03 am

blub wrote:Would It be possible to Use an PCI-Express Slot for Interconection? I don't know PCI-E well enough to tell if PC-PC connections are possible, but PCI-E 3.0 x16 would provide upt to 15Gigabytes/second, about 120x as fast as Gigabit Lan. On the other side why bother with CPU folding anymore, when it is possible to fold anything on a GPU?

Because CPU's are still handling the really big jobs, that's why.

As for PCIe memory transfers, doesn't PCIe have a latency problem?
Nathan_P

Postby HaloJones » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:47 pm

7im wrote:You still fold on the CPU because every PC with a GPU still has a CPU that can make a valuable contribution. Every little bit helps.

Got to disagree with you there; I have stopped all my cpu folding except for an i7. Why? because the cores are being used by the new beta GPU client which leaves not enough cores to be worth folding for the points per watt.

If points=science, then the GPUs are producing more science.
1x Titan X, 4x 1070
HaloJones

Postby 7im » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Yes, but only if you have multiple GPUs, which is not something the typical donor has. Who knows, one day there may be a fahcore that runs on both at the same time. CPU folding is not going away any time soon.
7im

Postby folding_hoomer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:18 pm

HaloJones wrote:Got to disagree with you there; I have stopped all my cpu folding except for an i7. Why? because the cores are being used by the new beta GPU client which leaves not enough cores to be worth folding for the points per watt.

I disagree, because:
I´m running a i7 2600K@4400MHz under Linux getting ~32-36K PPD by using about 160W (whole system) - much more efficient than any of your GPU´s . . .
folding_hoomer

Postby PantherX » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:21 pm

HaloJones wrote:
7im wrote:You still fold on the CPU because every PC with a GPU still has a CPU that can make a valuable contribution. Every little bit helps.

Got to disagree with you there; I have stopped all my cpu folding except for an i7. Why? because the cores are being used by the new beta GPU client which leaves not enough cores to be worth folding for the points per watt.

There are two different points here:
1) CPU folding
2) Points per watt

Those donors who have expensive electric bills or want to be efficient, will optimize their systems based on points per watt. That may or may not include folding on CPUs. However, there are some donors who have really cheap electric bills and will fold on whatever hardware they have as long as it meets the preferred/timeout deadline. I am still folding on Intel Pentium E5500/E5400 which nets me about 2K points each and am very happy since every bit counts :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

HJ also wrongly assumes the GPU will always need a full CPU to feed fahcore_17, not even out of beta yet. That could easily change. ;)
7im

Previous

Return to 3rd party contributed software