Installing a Web based client monitor

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Musiclover
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte GA-970-UD3
16 GB Ram
AMD FX-8150
Sapphire 6670 1 GB
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

Folding At Home monitoring SW can't find logfile

Post by Musiclover »

There are several pieces of software to monitor our clients and submit "points per day" to databases.

Stanford has one, overclock.net has one, etc.

I'm trying to get the Stanford one to work, but I can't. The help website for some of these monitoring programs is a joke, and I can't get IRC to work (or nobody is on at 3 AM Eastern time US). The PDF supplied with the Stanford monitoring program was pretty helpful but I still have a problem.

So I have to post here and ask for help. The Stanford FAHMon 2.3.99.3 cannot find the log file.

The client is in "C:\Program Files(x86)\FAHClient" and the logfile is here:

"C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\log.txt"

(I am Mike, Mike is an administrator, and I am not running either CPU or GPU client as a Windows Service. You're not supposed to do that, at least with Win7. I am running v7 of the client software.)

Can I make the monitoring program aware of the log file's location? Can I make the folding client write the log file in a different directory?

I can't measure points per day without a reliable, agreed-upon software standard.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Musiclover on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Re: Folding At Home monitoring SW can't find logfile

Post by Zagen30 »

I'm assuming you're using the v7 client (the one you download from the main page)? Major changes were made in the way the client writes log files between v6 and v7 (the current version), large enough that every piece of monitoring software had to be rewritten to work with v7. FahMon hasn't been rewritten so far to support v7 since uncle_fungus, the developer, has been busy with other things, and therefore FahMon can't monitor v7 clients. Try one of the other monitoring programs; I know for a fact that HFM works well, but it's not the only one.

And FYI FahMon is not Stanford's software; uncle_fungus may be a site admin for the forums, but he is not an employee of Stanford and none of the monitoring clients have ever been officially endorsed by the Pande Group.
Last edited by Zagen30 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: FCI: Folding@Home Client Info (Web based client monitor)

Post by Nathan_P »

As Zagen says Fahmon doesn't support v7 clients yet and FCI is still under development. Your best choice at the moment would be HFM.net
bruce

Re: Folding At Home monitoring SW can't find logfile

Post by bruce »

Musiclover wrote:There are several pieces of software to monitor our clients and submit "points per day" to databases.

Stanford has one, . . .
No, Stanford does not have one. Zagen has expressed it quite well: They're all written by 3rd parties and support for them is either provided by the author or those who like a particular one. All we do is provide a forum where 3rd party tools, including client monitoring programs, can be discussed. With the transition from V6 to V7, the volunteers who have written these tools must make some major changes and although the magnitude of that donation probably varies from program to program, it's not a small demand being placed on their personal life.
Musiclover
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte GA-970-UD3
16 GB Ram
AMD FX-8150
Sapphire 6670 1 GB
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

Re: FCI: Folding@Home Client Info (Web based client monitor)

Post by Musiclover »

Okay, I guess Stanford doesn't have one. I guess I have to leave this machine on 24/7 and copy down the number of work units and points from a points tracking site for many days in a row -- GPU only, SMP only, both, very manually for many days. And yes, I was using FAHMon, because I did not have success with the HFM.net program.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to look for the Loctite Red. I can't have my seat and rear fender falling off the motorcycle at 60 MPH. Especially if I'm the one riding it.