The Folding@Home GPU Statistics Database

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Folding@Home GPU Comparison Database

Post by P5-133XL »

csvanefalk wrote:By the way, moderators: doesn't this thread deserve a sticky or the like? After all, having a central repository for data about GPU:s would be an important and useful tool for folders and enthusiasts looking to make a wise investment with regards to the project.
Stickies are quite rare here. Just because it is important and contains useful information isn't enough. By that standard there would be litterally hundreds of stickied threads and people would have to scroll to get to anything new. It has to be exceptionally important. If you want to keep it at the top, keep posting new stuff...
csvanefalk

Post by csvanefalk »

Alright!

Now where did I put that spambot again...
bruce

Post by bruce »

There have been a number of people who created databases of various sorts. Announcements and discussion of them should appear in our 3rd party forum. (The database is not hardware so it doesn't belong here.)

Benchmarking for GPUs is currently in transition. Rarely do such databases take such changes into account and you can't compare "old" points to "new" points.

As a general rule, the Pande Group recommends that you fold with the equipment you have rather than buying hardware to fold -- although that recommendation is widely disregarded. Nobody will object to a FAH database that helps folks fine tune their purchase decisions but there are certainly other factors that will influence what someone would buy.
compdewd
Hardware configuration: [1] Debian 8 64-bit: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti, MSI NVIDIA GTX 460, AMD FX-8120
[2] Windows 7 64-bit: MSI NVIDIA GTX 460, AMD Phenom II X4

Post by compdewd »

Bruce, I don't know how hard it is to do so, but feel free to move this to the the 3rd party forum whenever you like. When I created this in the hardware section, I was anticipating it being full of data submissions which would be more related to a hardware discussion rather than a discussion of the database itself.

Also, I would like to know why the comparison of old points to new points is not possible. I would presume that if there were a calculator that takes TPF and Project Information as arguments (such as the LinuxForge calculator), that the QRB/PPD would be able to be calculated and so therefore knowing the TPF of any GPU, you could figure out what that GPU would get if it completed a QRB project. Then the old PPD data would be replaced by the theoretical new PPD. Is there something I'm not taking into account here?
bruce

Post by bruce »

GPU projects have not had any QRB. It's being considered, but there's no information about when (or what) it will be like.

Also, the benchmarking method is being changed. http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/12 ... nted-.html

If you completed a WU that was worth 100 points with a Kfactor of 0.0 and you later completed another WU from the same project that was worth 200 points with a KFactor of 0.75, the calculator wouldn't know which points to use for which WUs. The calculator can only look up the current data from psummary. Similarly, if you store information in the database that your xxxx GPU earned 100 PPD and now it's earning 200 PPD, the database is pretty useless.

A major change like this is extremely rare, but it's happening right now.
compdewd
Hardware configuration: [1] Debian 8 64-bit: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti, MSI NVIDIA GTX 460, AMD FX-8120

Post by compdewd »

Alright, so I have some time now and I have been working on the site which as a whole is far from being complete, but please note I'm putting as much time into it as possible.

Also as a note, once the new QRB for GPU's comes about, some of the records of the database will have to be removed due to incorrect PPD and a lack of information to be able to salvage them. Some will be salvaged though because if a record is missing a TPF but has the project and the PPD present, the TPF can be figured by: TPF in seconds = project base points / PPD * 86400 seconds / 100 frames. Then the PPD of old records can be updated to fit the new points scheme for GPUs based on the QRB formula. I will be calculating the TPF for records missing their TPF sometime in the near future.

P.S. to Bruce: Since this thread will be the place I will give updates about the database, you may want to move it to the 3rd party forums to better suit it's current use.
Edit by Mod: Done.
JimF

Post by JimF »

You might want to wait for Core_17 also.

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=74&t=23067&start=15#p230731
compdewd

Post by compdewd »

Thanks for the suggestion, JimF! I have decided I want to release the site before all the changes so people can see what the functionality will be like before the database takes a drop in its number of records. Hopefully it will be an attraction to submit more (often) after the FAH changes. I will be releasing the site very soon even though all of it is not developed. The database portion will be mostly developed upon release and will remain the top priority after release. The release will be sometime within the next day. Developing a site alone makes for timely activity and I thank everyone who is waiting for their patience!
compdewd

Post by compdewd »

I am now officially releasing the FAH Database portion of the website. The website is actually a site for my programming projects, but you can just ignore the rest of the site. Nothing from the database page would tell you it isn't just a site for the database except the domain name.

The site is: http://www.compdewddevelopment.com/redi ... u-database

Rather than having just a simple spreadsheet as before, the site introduces filtering options for the data.

Let me know of any suggestions, problems, or comments. Thanks! :)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

That's a brilliant database site! :D
I've been working with PHP and MySQL quite recently too, and getting it working and looking nice can be a challenge. So good job. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
artoar_11
Hardware configuration: AMD R7 3700X @ 4.0 GHz; ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING; DDR4 2x8GB @ 3.0 GHz; GByte RTX 3060 Ti @ 1890 MHz; Fortron-550W 80+ bronze; Win10 Pro/64

Post by artoar_11 »

Jesse_V wrote:That's a brilliant database site! :D
I've been working with PHP and MySQL quite recently too, and getting it working and looking nice can be a challenge. So good job. :)
+1

Just ask. Why is no data for 6XX Kepler, waiting for new Core version?
compdewd

Post by compdewd »

Thank you Jesse and artoar_11! I'm glad you both like it! Makes it worth having done all that work, especially since someone can relate to the kind of work it was :) Speaking of PHP, if anyone is interested in the code used, just ask and I will filter out all the database queries and whatever other security issues, and we can discuss some coding! :D

As of your question of why there is no data for the NVIDIA 600 Series, the answer is no data has come to me (except a couple entries yesterday that I have yet to enter) and I haven't had time to go looking for data, if there even is any that is applicable. Also, the QRB and new core may put a big damper on the database when they come. The QRB will essentially wipe out all records that have no project association, and the core may make all old records irrelevant and then the database will have to be started over from scratch. I hope that doesn't happen to the database, and if it does I hope the database can recover quickly with new data.

With that being said, it may be a good idea if anyone considering submitting data to the database waited until the relevant FAH changes take place. Once they take place, I will try to "advertise" the database on a few other forums. For now I will to work with the current circumstances and try not to worry about what the changes may do.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Its a bit to wade through but here is a thread with some GTX 650 PPD in it

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1727016

General PPD from several cards
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732136&page=2
If i find any others i'll edit this post
compdewd

Post by compdewd »

Thanks, Nathan! I'll prioritize some things and get on those as soon as possible
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »