Management Tool For Linux F@H Clients - Looking for Testers

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

kuyaedz

Management Tool For Linux F@H Clients - Looking for Testers

Post by kuyaedz »

I've been working on a management tool for Linux F@H clients for some time now. I figured I'd drop a line here for some additional feedback and testing. My goal is to make F@H on Linux as native as I can. This means startup scripts, user and team management tools, network management (ie; managing multiple F@H clients over the network), archiving and restoring data and a bunch more.

Basic Featureset:
automated local install defining username, team, client (i386 or amd64)
network installation to multiple machines including above options
uninstallation of F@H and data
network uninstallation
archive local data
restore local data
network archiving
network restoration
monitor local F@H status
monitor network F@H status
update name / team information (perhaps missed at installation?)
update name / team information on network clients
start, stop, restart local client (init script support)
start, stop, restart remote clients
define network proxy information
support for scheduling client start/stop (via cron)

Currently the code is available via bzr branch from Launchpad and available in PPA (Personal Package Archive) form. It will be available in Ubuntu 8.10 in the community repositories (yes, it abides by the Stanford no-distribution license). The code is GPLv2 with Public Domain components so you're welcome to use it and improve it as needed. I would, of course, appreciate any patches that can come back my way.

It has been tested and should run on Ubuntu (and similar), RHEL4-5, Fedora, SUSE, etc..

Downloads:
bzr branch lp:origami
Repository:
For some basic documentation on how to use the tool please see the Ubuntu community documentation wiki:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Foldi ... folding.sh

If you have any suggestions on improvements, patches, bugs, etc please submit them to https://bugs.launchpad.net/origami
smoking2000

Re: Management Tool For Linux F@H Clients - Looking for Testers

Post by smoking2000 »

Do I understand correctly that origami is the successor of folding.sh, the FAH install script for Ubuntu which uses finstall?

Have you looked at the features of InCrease for Mac OS X, it's the best FAH client monitor and installer around, it's only too bad that it's Mac OS X only.
kuyaedz

Post by kuyaedz »

Yes, after the project really started taking off I thought I should give it a more creative name. The project was folding.sh and then transitioned to origami.
smartcat99s

Post by smartcat99s »

You might want to offer a way to run remote management without requiring "PermitRootLogon yes" (i.e. have ssh call sudo)

(I've already got my clients integrated with Arch Linux -- see the PKGBUILD in the AUR)