Suspending/resuming GPU core processes

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Suspending/resuming GPU core processes

Post by Napoleon »

I was wondering if it would be safe (no risk of data corruption, deadlocks or hangs) if I simply suspended/resumed GPU FahCore process(es) if I needed to pause GPU folding momentarily?

Sometimes it seems a bit excessive to go through a full-blown GPU slot pause/unpause cycle and start over from previous checkpoint just because I happen to need full GPU power very briefly for something else. A suspended FahCore process won't receive any CPU cycles, so obviously it won't be able to feed the GPU, effectively releasing it for other use. I could simply resume the process later to go on with folding. Or at least I hope so...

I quickly tested the theory using PsSuspend and this method seems to work, but my quick test hardly qualifies as conclusive evidence.
bruce

Re: Suspending/resuming GPU core processes

Post by bruce »

Presumably the GPU will continue processing whatever is in VRAM and prepare the results to be returned to main RAM, but if the CPU process is suspended, the result can't be sent back until you un-suspend. Does that sound right?
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

I'm assuming the driver will send whatever is left in the folding queue to the GPU and store the returned results somehow, and FahCore will process them further once it gets resumed. Simple enough in theory, but I can imagine a number of things going wrong with said assumption. Deadlocks, race conditions, whatnot. Hence my question.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I posted your idea in this thread which discuss the CPU delay when fully pause/resume a gpu core.
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=25466
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Napoleon wrote:snip...

I quickly tested the theory using PsSuspend and this method seems to work, but my quick test hardly qualifies as conclusive evidence.
That's a good idea. But even if found to be safe, how does FAH roll out a Windows tool to OSX and Linux as well? One of the client's design goals is to be cross platform compatible.

If there were an open source version of the tool in Linux, then it could possibly be replicated for all OS types. Need to dig a little more before it can be passed to the developers.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

In Linux and OSX the command is already included to suspend and continue a process
kill -STOP
kill -CONT

I cannot test if this works with the fah gpu core because i have no linux or osx.
Who can?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Same here, no GPU in Linux, and no OSX, hence the request for more input.
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Post by billford »

foldy wrote:In Linux and OSX the command is already included to suspend and continue a process
kill -STOP
kill -CONT

I cannot test if this works with the fah gpu core because i have no linux or osx.
Who can?
Pausing a folding gpu core under OS X might present something of a problem :wink:

At least until Apple get their act together.
7im

Post by 7im »

True. Hard to test pausing of GPU Folding on an OS that doesn't support GPU Folding yet. But maybe OSX is Linux-ish enough to allow the developers to proceed on just Win and Lin.