FoldWatcher is out!!! (The ULTIMATE Monitoring Environment..

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

drkameleon

FoldWatcher is out!!! (The ULTIMATE Monitoring Environment..

Post by drkameleon »

FoldWatcher
is an integrated monitoring environment for Folding@Home designed for Linux and *nix Systems, which is intended to be easy-to-use and provide a flexible, customiseable and "user-friendly" environment for reviewing the status of active F@H clients. Foldwatcher is FREE software released under the terms of the GNU GPLv3 License. It is entirely coded in C++, making use of Qt (version 4.3) Libraries, which may allow a future easier porting to Windows or MacOS platforms.

* It allows to quickly check the progress of up to 100 clients and retrieve valuable information from the Work Unit being processed such as protein name, project number, Run/Clone/Generation and many more.

* It makes use of Ivoshiee's 'finstall script' in order to facilitate the installation of either simple or SMP Folding@Home clients, on i386 and amd64 machines.

* Combined with a powerful calculation algorithm, it may also provide estimations on the completion of a WU as well as indications of all Folding@Home clients' performance (secs/frame, frames/h, frames/day, points/h, points/day-PPD).

* Projects and project information is stored in a maintainable database to exclude the need of a working internet connection.

* It can fetch your personal stats or your team's stats and show them into the main window, enabling even printing and exporting them to a PDF file.

* Along with the 'finstall' script, it can be used to start or stop the execution of Folding@Home clients.

* Moreover, it integrates the ability - using either the RasMol Open-Source 3D Molecule Viewer or the JMol WebSite's Java Applet - to view the protein being folded.

:arrow:
Check the project's Homepage-->http://kameleon-nest.blogspot.com/2008/ ... tcher.html

:arrow: Click here to view Download and Installation Instructions--->http://kameleon-nest.blogspot.com/2008/ ... nload.html

I desperately need your comments and I hope you' ll love it... :D
Non est vivere, sed valere vita est.
----------------------------------------------------
My blog ---> http://kameleon-nest.blogspot.com
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: FoldWatcher is out!!! (The ULTIMATE Monitoring Environment..

Post by Ivoshiee »

Interesting.
Do you parse the logs, WU data, ... with your own code or use the qd for that?
Can you monitor remote clients?
drkameleon

Post by drkameleon »

Yes, EVERYTHING is parsed... and ALL code is genuine (written by me...)! Moreover FoldWatcher is entirely written in C++ using Qt libraries, so I couldn't actually use any existing F@H monitor's code. I just had a look at F@H documentation... (queue.dat structure, wuinfo_0X.dat, etc)

Remote clients? Do you mean through the internet? Not yet. But it' s in my projects... Of course, it is able to monitor Clients residing on local Network...

Have you tested it? I really look forward to hear your comments...

Hello from Greece my friend!
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

drkameleon wrote:Yes, EVERYTHING is parsed... and ALL code is genuine (written by me...)! Moreover FoldWatcher is entirely written in C++ using Qt libraries, so I couldn't actually use any existing F@H monitor's code. I just had a look at F@H documentation... (queue.dat structure, wuinfo_0X.dat, etc)

Remote clients? Do you mean through the internet? Not yet. But it' s in my projects... Of course, it is able to monitor Clients residing on local Network...

Have you tested it? I really look forward to hear your comments...

Hello from Greece my friend!
I haven't tested it, but I'll try.

Btw: The Origami (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/category/folding/) is being built on top of the finstall script and has some remote capabilities. Maybe it is possible to make them work together.
drkameleon

Post by drkameleon »

Well, I ' ll have a look... Cooperation is the most important thing. However i' ll try to make FoldWatcher more Unix/System-dependent than finstall/script-dependent. Of course, finstall is a really VALUABLE tool (from which I exploited the Start/Stop function. I integrated an finstall installation option in the installation script I wrote for FoldWatcher...)

What i really would like to know is whether there is any ... "embeddable" (preferably coded in C++ or something alike - everything but Java) open-source molecule viewing software, which I could fully integrate in the main app window... Do you have any idea?
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

drkameleon wrote:Well, I ' ll have a look... Cooperation is the most important thing. However i' ll try to make FoldWatcher more Unix/System-dependent than finstall/script-dependent. Of course, finstall is a really VALUABLE tool (from which I exploited the Start/Stop function. I integrated an finstall installation option in the installation script I wrote for FoldWatcher...)
Maybe you can work together with MacOSX crowd (authors of InCrease - http://www.calxalot.net/downloads/) and have a more or less pure *nix compatible setup.
What i really would like to know is whether there is any ... "embeddable" (preferably coded in C++ or something alike - everything but Java) open-source molecule viewing software, which I could fully integrate in the main app window... Do you have any idea?
I haven't seen one, but certainly there are such programs. Doesn't the fpd do the trick (http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/mirror/www ... h.html#fpd)?
drkameleon

Post by drkameleon »

Well InCrease is really an interesting project. I am currently having a look at the code.

As far as fpd is concerned, I am having problems even when executing it... :( (I don't know... At first, I thought it was a video-card issue, but i haven't yet made it work even in other machines... I don't have a clue... :roll: )
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Some very early observations:

1. Couldn't make without installing qt4-dev. You might want to mention that in your instructions.

2. Window could not be re-sized. I'm using 1024x768 and clicking anywhere on the window just shifted it back and forth from left to right.

3. Tried to add one of my existing clients but that didn't seem to work either.

4. I didn't say 'Y' to using finstall as my clients are already installed and running.

5. Messages in console window when running:

Code: Select all

QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x89e930 'Clock;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x84a7f0 'Protein information;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x89c290 'Personal Statistics;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x88b670 'Team Statistics;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x84bc50 'Clients;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x826a70 'FAHlog.txt;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x80d760 'FoldWatcher Log;
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

[ivo@ragana foldwatcher-0.1.0]$ make
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf', needed by `Makefile'.  Stop.
[ivo@ragana foldwatcher-0.1.0]$ 
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Ivoshiee wrote:

make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf', needed by `Makefile'.  Stop.

Same message that I got until I installed qt4-dev.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

bollix47 wrote:
Ivoshiee wrote:

[root@ragana ~]# yum install qt4-devel
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package 1:qt-devel-4.3.4-11.fc9.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
[root@ragana ~]# 
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

That would seem to be a distro-specific problem. I'm using Ubuntu which by the looks of the OP's screenshot is the same distro he's using.

After restarting foldwatcher the client I added does appear and shows the correct info in the Client window, however, clicking on anything just moves the window back and forth from left to right without actually selecting the item I've clicked so I need to 'fix' that before I can continue testing.

The unmaximize (using top left icon) seems to help but window is still too big and won't resize.

Progress bar under the calendar keeps running from left to right over and over.
drkameleon

Post by drkameleon »

QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x89e930 'Clock;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x84a7f0 'Protein information;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x89c290 'Personal Statistics;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x88b670 'Team Statistics;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x84bc50 'Clients;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x826a70 'FAHlog.txt;
QMainWindow::saveState(): 'objectName' not set for QDockWidget 0x80d760 'FoldWatcher Log;
This isn't a problem... just ignore it!
Window could not be re-sized. I'm using 1024x768 and clicking anywhere on the window just shifted it back and forth from left to right.
Strange... I'm trying to understand what goes wrong... Probably it's a resolution issue. I' ll try to fix this, cause I've already had some problems with the resizing of the Main Window. I had tested it on Laptop - 1280x800. Tell me sth... Are window's borders clear? or are they messed up - as if they do not exist?
Yes, I thought it was already clear that the Qt libraries are needed (I mention it in the intro). I suppose I have to mention it more clear that qt4-dev must be installed.
That would seem to be a distro-specific problem. I'm using Ubuntu which by the looks of the OP's screenshot is the same distro he's using.
True. FoldWatcher was tested on 32- and 64-bit Ubuntu distros... I really don't think it's a matter of distro... Something tells me that it's still screen resolution that matters...

Has anybody tested it on a typical laptop screen (1280x800).???I suppose - if it works correctly there - It MUST be a resolution issue which I' ll try to figure out... Please let me know...
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

The resizing "problem" lies with the clock applet.

If the clock is shown, the minimum size the window can be is 1132x653. If you remove the clock, you can resize down to 876x653.

If you can add the ability to remove the calendar, people can resize it more freely again.

You might want to try and make your makefile a little less distro specific too (regarding the location of qt4 configuration files).

Is there a reason why you're supplying a precompiled copy of foldwatcher in your source package (./bin)?

Finally, foldwatcher shouldn't really be being installed to /usr/sbin, /usr/bin would be a more appropriate location.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

bollix47 wrote:That would seem to be a distro-specific problem. I'm using Ubuntu which by the looks of the OP's screenshot is the same distro he's using.

[ivo@haskaa ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release 
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
[ivo@haskaa ~]$ uname -a
Linux haskaa 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 13 04:54:47 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[ivo@haskaa ~]$