3rd Party to configure ID, team, and start/stop

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

IsaacB

3rd Party to configure ID, team, and start/stop

Post by IsaacB »

Hello F@H team! :D

I want to bringF@H to many others that do not know about this in México, and I want to use a third party application (That my team has developed) to run/stop it and configure ID, team and full power... which would be practically only touching the "config.xml" file. My concern is regarding the EULA where it states "You may not alter the software or associated data files."... would this modifications at config.xml would be considered illegal?

Is there a way to legitly do what I've mentioned before without any EULA trouble?

Thank you!

- I call myself Scoobyduh -
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: 3rd Party to configure ID, team, and start/stop

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

If you do your application using the provided Third Part API - https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-co ... Client-API, the modifications will actually be processed through the FAHClient software that runs in the background after installation. That will take care of any issues with the terms of use for the F@h software.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
IsaacB

Post by IsaacB »

Awesome!

Such a quick response Joe, I will learn about it and apply it right away. I really appreciate your help :)!
bruce

Post by bruce »

While your intentions may be honorable and aboveboard, I do have some concerns.

Suppose a team which is in fierce competion with another team wishes to unfairly "win" a points competition and they use your app to "Borg" (have an intent of controlling or assimilating) FAHClients that are not their own. Clearly FAH's EULA should prevent that from happening. In fact, you should not be able to make changes without the permission of the hardware's owner or the notification of the machine's user.

Please explain how your APP will be prevented from being used for nefarious purposes.