FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Re: FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h client

Postby PantherX » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:06 pm

I too have some PPD issue with FahMon version 2.3.99.4 but version 2.3.399.3 worked fine for some donors (I didn't try it). Maybe you can give it a try if you want.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby topodisc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Using FahMon version 2.3.99.4 on Windows 7 64bit. I have an iMac client storing it's work data and logs on a share accessible to Windows. The iMac is using AFP to write data, but the line endings seem to match the other clients. Anyway, Windows FahMon doesn't appear to be able to provide project information for the iMac client. It works fine for Linux clients (both native and VMWare), as well as Windows SMP and GPU clients running locally. Has anyone else seen this issue?

I can provide screenshots and data files if necessary.
Intel i7 2600K (D2) @ 4.60GHz ~ Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler ~ Asus P8P67 Deluxe (B3/1305) ~ G.Skill 16GB (F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH) ~ MSI GTX560 Ti @ 880MHz ~ Corsair TX650W PSU ~ Crucial C300 128GB SSD (0006) ~ Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
topodisc

FAHMon Not Working - Win2000

Postby COOLDUDEGAMER » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:35 am

Hello all!,

It appears that when I installed FAHMon (2.3.99.3 or 2.3.99.4) in Win2000 with SP4, it gives me an error saying it is not a valid Win32 application. Can someone please help me get this running so I can monitor my client on this system?

Thanks in advanced,

COOLDUDEGAMER
Why am I always tired?!

My avatar is Lelouch from Code Geass. Does anyone know where Suzaku is? I want to use my Geass on him for fun! :P

COOLDUDEGAMER

FahMon Issue

Postby Tynat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Hello,

After a long hiatus I'm slowly getting back into doing some folding. To begin, I decided to first update the software on the WinXP machine. Leaving the old software in place, I started fresh with a new directory layout. I updated the GPU2 v6.23 console client for the HD3850 card to the new GPU3 v6.41r2 console client. That seems to be working fine. Next, I updated FahMon v2.3.99.1 to FahMon v2.3.99.4 and added a new GPU3 console client entry. Everything appears to be working fine with FahMon except for the ETA and the PPD column calculations. No matter how long the client runs, these columns never update.

After a couple of hours of playing with settings and doing searches, I decided to try something different. The Win7 laptop still has the old software installed (GPU2 v6.23 and FahMon v2.3.99.1). On the laptop, I started the old FahMon, edited the old HD3850 client entry to point it to the new GPU3 location over the LAN on the WinXP machine and the ETA and the PPD appear in old FahMon v2.3.99.1 on the laptop. I decided to try the reverse. I started the laptop's old GPU2 console client and on the WinXP machine I added the client to point over the LAN to the laptop's GPU2 console client. Now the new FahMon is listing two clients, but both ETA and PPD columns are not updating. Apparently, the ETA and PPD work in the old FahMon for both GPU2 and GPU3, but neither GPU2 or GPU3 ETA and PPD work in the new FahMon.

I've compared the settings of both FahMon programs and with the exception the Project URL under the Advance tab, they have identical settings. Based on all of this, it seems to me that there is a ETA and PPD issue with the new v2.3.99.4 FahMon.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why the old FahMon works correctly and the new FahMon doesn't?
All clients stopped due to Stanford's upcoming September 2011 decision
Tynat

Re: FahMon Issue

Postby Tynat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm

I should have made it clearer in the last post that I do not use the FahMon installer package. All installs of FahMon have been from the ZIP archive. Every time FahMon is started, it is done so from a Command window using the -L switch. IMO, that feature should be an option inside the program's preferences so that it's always available regardless of how FahMon is started.

Moved the FahMon v2.3.99.4 directory out of the way. Then unpacked the FahMon v2.3.99.3 ZIP package and started FahMon. As soon as I added the GPU3 console client for the HD3850, the box turned "green". The ETA and PPD appeared.

Moved the FahMon v2.3.99.3 directory out of the way. Then unpacked the FahMon v2.3.99.4 ZIP package and started FahMon. As soon as I added the GPU3 console client for the HD3850, the box turned "yellow". The ETA and PPD didn't appear.

Since the Message window doesn't display any errors with FahMon v2.3.99.4 running, I unchecked "Log error messages only" under the Advance tab. Besides a "Triggered auto-reload of local clients", the following appeared multiple times:

• [08/06/11 - 13:39:16.653] Reloading HD3850
  • [08/06/11 - 13:39:16.684] HD3850 has an unknown state (Unable to find a complete frame)
  • [08/06/11 - 13:39:16.684] Cannot determine frame number for HD3850 (this isn't a problem)
  • [08/06/11 - 13:39:16.684] Finished Reloading HD3850
Swapping the 2.3.99.4 directory for the 2.3.99.3 directory and again I unchecked "Log error messages only" under the Advance tab. Besides a "Triggered auto-reload of local clients", the following appeared multiple times:

• [08/06/11 - 14:07:43.013] Reloading HD3850
  • [08/06/11 - 14:07:43.028] HD3850 is on frame 22
  • [08/06/11 - 14:07:43.028] Finished Reloading HD3850
Since both have the wrong date, it's not August, that can't be it. Although, if it's not the wrong date and it's a date format thing, a more universal date format such as yyyy-mm-dd would improve readability tremendously. In any case, the frame count increased as expected with each iteration.

I don't know if 2.3.99.3 just doesn't display as much information as v2.3.99.4 or that despite the "this isn't a problem" indicator, v2.3.99.4 IS indicating a problem. Clearly, the messages are different, even though the client and the FahMon preferences are the same.
Tynat

Re: FahMon Issue

Postby 7im » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:55 pm

I requested your post be merged with the existing Fahmon thread. The fahmon developer is subscibed in that topic, so your post there would have triggered a quicker response. He may not drop by and see this new topic for a few days. ;)

Mod Edit: Done - PantherX
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Tynat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks for doing that. If only all moves were that easy. :lol:

Here's another quick update. I started the old SMP v6.29 console client on the Win7 laptop and then on the WinXP machine pointed FahMon v2.3.99.4 to the laptop's SMP console client directory. Interestingly, it's the first time FahMon v2.3.99.4 has ever shown a green square. And, it's also the first time that the ETA and PPD has worked. That seems to suggest that FahMon v2.3.99.4 is having problems with GPU clients. For now I think I'll just stick with FahMon v2.3.99.3 and be done with it until such time a newer version of FahMon is released.
Tynat

Postby 7im » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:21 am

Off topic, but you may have issues continuing to get work units if you run v6.29 SMP Windows client. You should be on v6.30 at least, if not up to v6.34. IIRC, the v6.34 executable is a drop in. As always, upgrade between WUs, and rerun the config just to be sure.
7im

Postby uncle_fungus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:22 am

Thanks for the move PantherX :)

In answer to your questions Tynat, unfortunately I seem to have introduced a bug in 2.3.99.4 which means PPD and ETA calculations don't work properly (the parsing code is broken I think) which explains why you're getting the error messages in the log.

2.3.99.3 still works fine for ETA/PPD calculations, and shouldn't really cause you any problems in the near future (except for no v7 support).

The date issue you see in the FahMon log is just due to the formatting being applied to the date (DD/MM/YY) which doesn't take into account your locale.

In terms of any future updates to FahMon, it is likely that the next update will introduce v7 support, however as I'm currently finishing the research portion of my PhD, it will not be in the near future.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Postby Tynat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:41 pm

uncle_fungus wrote:...unfortunately I seem to have introduced a bug in 2.3.99.4 which means PPD and ETA calculations don't work properly (the parsing code is broken I think) which explains why you're getting the error messages in the log.

Ah, thanks for the confirmation. In that case, wouldn't it be prudent to pull v2.3.99.4 from the front page and replace it with v2.3.99.3?

Honestly, there was a point in the beginning where I thought I simply couldn't remember how to use the program. :wink:

uncle_fungus wrote:2.3.99.3 still works fine for ETA/PPD calculations, and shouldn't really cause you any problems in the near future (except for no v7 support).

So far v2.3.99.3 is working great. I've added 6 clients and they are updating accordingly. ATM, v7 support isn't an issue for me.

uncle_fungus wrote:The date issue you see in the FahMon log is just due to the formatting being applied to the date (DD/MM/YY) which doesn't take into account your locale.

Yeah, I kind of figured it was a date formatting thing. AFAIK, the YYYY-MM-DD format is a ISO standard and would make it universally more understandable.

uncle_fungus wrote:In terms of any future updates to FahMon, it is likely that the next update will introduce v7 support, however as I'm currently finishing the research portion of my PhD, it will not be in the near future.

Version 2.3.99.3 seems to be filling that gap nicely. Perhaps a future update will include the local (-l switch) in the configuration?

Best of luck with your PhD. Thanks for the information and reply.
Tynat

Postby 7im » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Is the FahMon data file (project list) on fahinfo.org updated automatically?
7im

Postby uncle_fungus » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am

7im wrote:Is the FahMon data file (project list) on fahinfo.org updated automatically?

No, not for while now. I don't currently have time to fix whatever is broken I'm afraid :(
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 3rd party contributed software