fci - Folding@Home Client Info install problem

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Shadowtester

fci - Folding@Home Client Info install problem

Post by Shadowtester »

I was trying to install the fci - Folding@Home Client Info client and server on my debian etch server which has apache2 working as a webserver.

I installed the dependencies as stated on the install page
# FCI Installer only:
aptitude install libxml-simple-perl libgetopt-mixed-perl \
libdata-dumper-simple-perl

# FCI Client only:
aptitude install libwww-perl libdate-calc-perl libgetopt-mixed-perl

# FCI Server only:
aptitude install imagemagick libxi6 apache2 libapache2-mod-perl2 libwww-perl \
libdate-calc-perl libdate-manip-perl libxml-simple-perl \
libdata-dumper-simple-perl libapache-htpasswd-perl libgetopt-mixed-perl \
libmime-lite-perl libgd-graph-perl perlmagick libapache2-request-perl

Then I downloaded fci-1.0beta1.tar.gz to /root
wget http://fci.bile.nl/downloads/fci-1.0-beta1.tar.gz

Then I extracted fci-1.0beta1.tar.gz
tar -xzvf fci-1.0beta1.tar.gz

All that went fine the problem occurred after I changed into the fci-1.0beta1 directory and ran the install.pl
./install.pl --client --server

I received this error
XMLin() requires either XML::SAX or XML::Parser at ./install.pl line 278

Any ideas or help to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks Shadowtester
Shadowtester

smoking2000

Re: fci - Folding@Home Client Info install problem

Post by smoking2000 »

Shadowtester wrote:I was trying to install the fci - Folding@Home Client Info client and server on my debian etch server which has apache2 working as a webserver.
[...]
All that went fine the problem occurred after I changed into the fci-1.0beta1 directory and ran the install.pl
./install.pl --client --server

I received this error
XMLin() requires either XML::SAX or XML::Parser at ./install.pl line 278
I haven't seen this error before, it shouldn't happen because libxml-simple-perl depends on:

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache show libxml-simple-perl | grep Depends
Depends: perl (>= 5.8), libxml-namespacesupport-perl (>= 1.04), libxml-sax-perl, libxml-libxml-perl | libxml-sax-expat-perl
You should have either libxml-libxml-perl or libxml-sax-expat-perl installed via this dependency.

Can you post the output of the below command?

dpkg -l | grep libxml | grep perl
It should match with:

$ dpkg -l | grep libxml | grep perl
ii  libxml-libxml-common-perl    0.13-5                               Perl module for common routines & constants
ii  libxml-libxml-perl           1.59-2                               Perl module for using the GNOME libxml2 libr
ii  libxml-namespacesupport-perl 1.09-3                               Perl module for supporting simple generic na
ii  libxml-sax-perl              0.12-5                               Perl module for using and building Perl SAX2
ii  libxml-simple-perl           2.14-5                               Perl module for reading and writing XML
Shadowtester

Post by Shadowtester »

This is a debian etch server headless setup and here is the output for you

NAS:~# dpkg -l | grep libxml | grep perl
ii  libxml-simple-perl                2.15-1                                   Easy API to maintain XML (esp config files)
NAS:~#
Shadowtester

smoking2000

Post by smoking2000 »

For some reason the dependencies were not installed too.

What happens if you install the missing packages manually?

aptitude install libxml-sax-perl libxml-namespacesupport-perl libxml-libxml-perl libxml-libxml-common-perl
Shadowtester

Post by Shadowtester »

That worked great thank you I now have the server and client running on my server next step is to install client software on the rest of my machines.

Thanks again
Shadowtester

Shadowtester

Post by Shadowtester »

One more quick question is there anything I need to do on the client side to make it upload the data to the server automatically at a given interval? If so what and any simple setup guide to help get me setup correctly.

Thanks
Shadowtester

Shadowtester

Post by Shadowtester »

I figured it out that it does not update automatically to do that you need to set up a crontab job for that which I did. Great piece of software thanks again for the help and letting the community also use your software. If I could suggest an improvement/additional feature for a later release it would be nice if you could add the feature to be able to view the clients logs both current and previous.

Thanks Again
Shadowtester

smoking2000

Post by smoking2000 »

Shadowtester wrote:I figured it out that it does not update automatically to do that you need to set up a crontab job for that which I did.
That's correct, you need to schedule fci-client.pl in crontab to upload the client data automatically.

I recommend that you configure your clients to upload each hour between xx:00 and xx:15 and possibly up to xx:25 if you have a several dozen clients.
Don't upload on and after xx:30 or your fci-update-xml-files.pl run on the server will be a bit messed up, containing ~1 hour old data.

Example crontab for FCI clients:

10 * * * *  /usr/local/bin/fci-client.pl --url http://fci.example.com/index.pl --dir /path/to/fah-client-dir/ --username client --password <password>
Shadowtester wrote:If I could suggest an improvement/additional feature for a later release it would be nice if you could add the feature to be able to view the clients logs both current and previous.
This is already possible, although you have to type the URL yourself.

The uploaded FAHlog.txt & FAHlog-Prev.txt are stored in the client data directory (which you must protect with HTTP authentication, only the FCI administrator should be allowed to access all client data) on the server at:

http://fci.example.com/client-data/<client-hostname>/FAHlog.txt
http://fci.example.com/client-data/<client-hostname>/FAHlog-Prev.txt
FCI v1.5 or v2.0 will have more authentication & authorization functionality, tied to the user accounts of the clients containing admin contact info and such which will be used by the fci-analyse-clients.pl script to alert the admin of detected events (WU deletion, upload failures, qfix-able issues, etc), this script is not fully implemented yet and I'm still finalizing the documentation for the v1.0-final release which I need to finish first. :)