VMware Server Console - failed to switch to 64 bit mode

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

shunter

VMware Server Console - failed to switch to 64 bit mode

Post by shunter »

Message reported as run Ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64 - Virtual Machine " This virtual machine has failed to switch to 64 bit mode. This may be due to a lack of available memory on the host."

On the set up I have had to drop Memory to 144 MB for Ubuntu to load which is far to low to run Folding smp version. Has anybody experienced and / of know how to get back to 800MB to run folding seriously.
The system spec is Q6600, 2 Gb RAM, Wndows XP SP2 which runs Folding@home-Win32-x86 as norm but I tried to add the Linux virtualisation - as far as I know this system should be capable of running VMware at a high enough level. I have checked and followed various guides as well as other information on the internet but failed totally and miserably. Have used VMware Server versions 1.0.5, 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 as well as Ubuntu-7.10-desktop-amd64 as well as Ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64 in all possible combinations and uninstalled each version of VMware without any success. I have stopped the windows smp, rebooted system and tried to install VMware without Win smp running with zilch success and am stumped as to what to do now.

I hope this is the right area to post this issue - could not find anyone other posts referring to this issue.

Many thanks
DriveEuro

Re: VMware Server Console - failed to switch to 64 bit mode

Post by DriveEuro »

I set all my VMs to ~600mb each. Sounds like you just don't have enough free ram available.
slugbug
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte P35-DS3L|Intel Q6600@3.0ghz|Galaxy 8800GT 512mb|2x1gb Buffalo Firestix DDR2 800

Post by slugbug »

512mb of ram and 8gb hdd space works fine for me.
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

Right, but what causes this error is when VMware can't allocate the ram that it needs to run. I've seen this numerous times when I would have some huge memory hog program open before I would start my VMs.
Mattus
Hardware configuration: Intel Q6600 @ 3.1Ghz, GeForce 8800GT, 4GB DDR2 RAM, ASUS P5Q Pro
Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Mattus »

I'm not sure this is to do with your memory. I would check your BIOS settings. Your CPU needs its virtualisation features to be enabled in order to run 64-bit Linux on top of 32-bit Windows. The option you're looking to enable is 'Intel Virtualisation Technology' or similar.
folding proudly for team 10, OcUK ¦ what am I folding?
John Naylor
Hardware configuration: Q9450 OC @ 3.2GHz (Win7 Home Premium) - SMP2
E7500 OC @ 3.66GHz (Windows Home Server) - SMP2
i5-3750k @ 3.8GHz (Win7 Pro) - SMP2

Post by John Naylor »

Some motherboards call it by its original and more confusing name (for intel anyway) - you are looking for "Vanderpool Technology" if you cannot find Virtualisation Technology.
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

Is anyone even reading the first post fully?
On the set up I have had to drop Memory to 144 MB for Ubuntu to load which is far to low to run Folding smp version. Has anybody experienced and / of know how to get back to 800MB to run folding seriously.
He has got it to run, but he's getting errors due to lack of memory.

shunter:
again, try to free up some memory. If you can't free up enough then it looks like you should upgrade to 3 or 4gb. You have some program (other than VMware) running that is occupying a LOT of memory and preventing VMware from running properly.