FahMon and VMWare

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Fuzzy-Felt Bloke

FahMon and VMWare

Post by Fuzzy-Felt Bloke »

Has anyone been able to get FahMon to see clients within VMWare, or if this is even possible.

Thanks

Fuzzy-Felt Bloke :D :D
Tigerbiten

Re: FahMon and VMWare

Post by Tigerbiten »

Yes.
I can see all mine.
If your running Linux inside the VM then you just need to set up the samba shares correctly.
Once the share's permissions are correct then its just like seeing any remote drive.

Luck .......... :D
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

Been working fine for me for years. Just point Fahmon at the VM's share.

Notfred's virtual appliance is the easiest method to fold and have a VM share that is usable in windows.
Fuzzy-Felt Bloke

I have set up shared folder (FAH) within each Linux client but they do not show up in 'My Network', I assume that I need to change some settings within Windows and/or VMWare. I'm quite happy to read up on this if someone could point me in the right direction with useful on-line tutorials or web sites.

Thanks

Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

You need to setup a SMB/samba share so that your Windoze box can see your Linux files.
An ordinary share will only work within you local Linux network.

I used the second half to this -> http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p ... ostcount=7 <- post to setup my samba shares so that mine where visible.
Thats if your running at INIT 3 level.
If you have a graphics desktop search for SMB/samba share option.
Depending on your setup you may need to load the SMB module to get it to work.

Ps. I know very little Linux, just enough to get my VM's working.

Luck .............. :D
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

In ubuntu there is a nice Samba GUI package. Its listed as System-config-Samba. Its got a simple front end and helps you avoid having to modify the samba config file manually. I use it on all of my Ubuntu VMs.
Fuzzy-Felt Bloke

In ubuntu there is a nice Samba GUI package. Its listed as System-config-Samba. Its got a simple front end and helps you avoid having to modify the samba config file manually. I use it on all of my Ubuntu VMs
I've had a look but cannot find it, does it have to be installed.

Thanks

DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

Its in the package manager. First do an upload (i think its the reload button). Then do a search for "samba". It will show in the results. Install it.

You can find it then under System>Administration>Samba
weedacres
Hardware configuration: UserNames: weedacres_gpu ...

Post by weedacres »

The only way I've been able to get this to work is to set up the Network Adapter in the VM client as Custom/VMnet0 (default bridged).
If it's not bridged you won't see them in your network except on the PC that hosts that VM. You also have to have the shares set up as noted above. This caused some network conflict issues but once they were sorted out it runs great, much easier than my workaround in the next paragraph.

Before I figured that out I set up a network drive on each host machine and used one of the autosync programs to copy FAHlog.txt and queue.dat every 5 minutes or so to a shared folder. Since all of my host machines showed up on the network I could see the shared folder that I did the sync to with FAHMon. This was pretty clunky and required a lot of attention to keep it running.