finstall problem

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

tmillic
Hardware configuration: AMD3200+ w/ NVIDIA GT220.
Tyan S2912 with 1 Opteron 2347HE.
Via C3.

finstall problem

Post by tmillic »

I'm attempting to install finstall on a machine running Ubuntu using the instructions on this page:
http://fahwiki.net/index.php/A_Complete ... or_NEWbies
I've installed it on a machine running Opensuse, and it has been running for awhile.
I'm getting this error on the Ubuntu machine though:
$ ./finstall: 5418: Syntax error: Bad substitution
I've googled the error, but it hasn't turned up anything very useful to me. Is there a problem with my bash configuration? I'm suspecting bash problems because I've also noticed that I have no bash history for some reason. Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks.
-tom
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: finstall problem

Post by Ivoshiee »

I've seen something similar before - different distros bundle with different versions of BASH and BASH happen to change syntax a bit from time to time.
That syntax error is somewhere around line 5418 in finstall.
What version of BASH do you have?
Do you use latest finstall?
tmillic
Via C3.

Post by tmillic »

I got it to use bash instead of some other shell that it had been using. It is the most current version of finstall. I still haven't gotten it to go yet, so this pc is one of the few we have on all the time, and it's not folding again (yet).
I didn't know that the number was the line number. That will be helpful. Thanks!
-tom
tmillic
Via C3.

Post by tmillic »

I just got it working. I was trying to start the script with /etc/init.d/folding start (like I do on the suse machine) instead of /home/uasil/foldingathome/folding start.
Thanks!
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

So it wasn't a BASH related issue?
tmillic
Via C3.

Post by tmillic »

I wasn't using bash it turned out, but a different shell. I couldn't install it under the other shell, but it installed without a hitch using bash once I realized it wasn't the bash shell by default. My mistake then was using the wrong directory in the command to start it.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

OK.
GTron

Post by GTron »

@Ivo
I have started refreshing my Ubuntu 8.04 smp folders with finstall v6.2 and encountered a small problem with the get_qdinfo script that it installs. The echo statement on line 19 does not have a terminating double quote, causing the shell to read to EOF and produce an error message and not download the new qdinfo.dat. :shock:

The problem appears to be correctable by adding the double quote on line 2681 of the finstall v6.2 script. :D

Thanks,
Greg
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

GTron wrote:@Ivo
I have started refreshing my Ubuntu 8.04 smp folders with finstall v6.2 and encountered a small problem with the get_qdinfo script that it installs. The echo statement on line 19 does not have a terminating double quote, causing the shell to read to EOF and produce an error message and not download the new qdinfo.dat. :shock:

The problem appears to be correctable by adding the double quote on line 2681 of the finstall v6.2 script. :D

Thanks,
Greg
Thanks. Fixed. Strange how did I manage to break it.
GTron

Post by GTron »

Thanks Ivo. :D
I refreshed 2 more folders today with the fixed finstall v6.2 script and they are doing fine.
What can I say about that perfidious punctuation?
Greg
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

GTron wrote:Thanks Ivo. :D
I refreshed 2 more folders today with the fixed finstall v6.2 script and they are doing fine.
What can I say about that perfidious punctuation?
Greg
That one is easy - if you see a problem then step up to correct it.