notfred's custom folding CD

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

hrsetrdr

notfred's custom folding CD

Post by hrsetrdr »

I recently used notfred's folding CD generator, downloaded and burned the image, and booted to it in a AMD64 friendly system(Intel 64 bit mobo, Intel D820 cpu)
It would connect to 171.67.22.26, indicate "setting up instance 1, then no output...forever. Am I not using this correctly? btw, there is no server 171.67.22.26 listed in serverstat. ???

notfreds_CD_generator
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues
bruce

Re: notfred's custom folding CD

Post by bruce »

When a new client first connects to the internet, the first thing it does it get a UserID from http://www.stanford.edu which happens to be 171.67.22.26. That address does not distribute WUs, so it's not on serverstat or psummary
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

Ah, thanks Bruce- that explains what has been a mystery to me, for a while. Speaking of mysteries, I could have sworn that it was 7im that replied to this post, when I viewed it earlier. I just now came back here to grab a link that I 'm going to insert in a P.M. to notfred, on his home forum. :e?:
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

That's what I would have suggested. Best to get help from the source.

And I thought there was already a thread started about this application... ?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

7im wrote:That's what I would have suggested. Best to get help from the source.

There are a few threads that mention notfred's folding, but are not the original thread topic.

theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Post by theMASS »

hrsetrdr wrote:I recently used notfred's folding CD generator, downloaded and burned the image, and booted to it in a AMD64 friendly system(Intel 64 bit mobo, Intel D820 cpu)
It would connect to 171.67.22.26, indicate "setting up instance 1, then no output...forever. Am I not using this correctly? btw, there is no server 171.67.22.26 listed in serverstat. ???

notfreds_CD_generator
Is this a new download? When F@H beta 6 was released it required nf to update the image to point to a new server. are you referring to the url on the console/monitor output?

It should be 171.67.20.36

sounds like you have an old copy...

EDIT: You mean you dont see any output on the console?

you need to view with a browser pointed at the url listed from your network... the last few versions dont show the log on the console like it used to. It remains static so you can see what IP address its using.

EDIT 2: Unless you have a USB drive attached setting up instance 1 is the last thing you should see... you're folding! ;)
Last edited by theMASS on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
theMASS
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)

Post by theMASS »

7im wrote:That's what I would have suggested. Best to get help from the source.

Best way to ask the source:

Long thread many topics
http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewto ... =9&t=53576

New thread because first one was getting long
http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewto ... =9&t=56317
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

@theMASS, thanks for your response and the links. I P.M.'d notfred on TR and he confirmed that no output would be viewable from the folding machine, but that the WU could be monitored with fahmon, from a different machine.

: Unless you have a USB drive attached setting up instance 1 is the last thing you should see... you're folding!
Good to know, will start it up after work tonight; will give the D820 something constructive to do. ;)

hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

Working nicely, got a P2605. ;)

theMASS

Post by theMASS »

hrsetrdr wrote:Working nicely, got a P2605. ;)
It's tough to beat both for dedicated folding and for use in a Virtual Machine.
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

Sadly, I've still not taken the time to master either VMware or QEMU; still on my list of 'roundtuits'.

theMASS

Post by theMASS »

Just to let everyone know notfred needs to do update the folding CD to work with beta2. So don't stop your machines if you don't have to or you won't be able to fold until the rebuild is released.

Here's an excerpt from the TR forums regarding the issue:

Q1: When i use boot cd atm, will it get the beta1 client or beta2 ?
Should it be easy to just change that download url a litte from beta1 to beta2 ?
The file name seems to be embedded with initrd so it probably needs a recompile.

notfred's response:
Yes, it's embedded so it will be a rebuild, shouldn't be too bad though, I just need to get an afternoon or evening to do it.

I'll post when an update is available or if anything else relevant comes up.

UPDATE: The notfred CD released Jan 11 2008 DOES work with the beta2 release...
A new version of the notfred cd is however in the works and should be released shortly.
theMASS

New Version of notfred's Diskless Folding Suite Released

Post by theMASS »

Notfred has released a new version of his excellent diskless folding suite with includes the folding CD

It was finished earlier than expected so it's dated Feb 2, 2008

Noted new features
2 February 08: Fixed install after move to SourceForge. Added autoreturn to homepage after reboot. Added the Benchmark CD as a boot option. Changed to FAH version 6 Beta 2.

You can grab it here: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: New Version of notfred's Diskless Folding Suite Released

Post by toTOW »

There is already a topic about it, you don't need to create a new one : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=922 :roll:

Edit by -B:
Topics merged.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html
It is nice and dandy way to get the FAH client running, but if it does contain the FAH client executable(s) on it then it is violating the FAH EULA http://folding.stanford.edu/English/License:
Distribution of this software is prohibited. It may only be obtained by downloading from Stanford's web site (http://folding.stanford.edu and pages linked therein).
Can anyone confirm if it does have the FAH executables on it or does it download it at run time?