notfred's custom folding CD

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Re: notfred's custom folding CD

Post by RAH »

The core file, is DL'd and run from Stanford each time you start the machine. It is not part
of the CD or USB stick files.

The only files that get put on the USB stick as back up are work, client config, etc.
The EULA is not broken by using it.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

RAH wrote:The core file, is DL'd and run from Stanford each time you start the machine. It is not part
of the CD or USB stick files.

The only files that get put on the USB stick as back up are work, client config, etc.
The EULA is not broken by using it.
That is good.
Is the FAH client as well DL'd each time you start the machine?
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

Yes. When you start the machine with CD, or USB, it is recognized for what it is. The correct client, normal or SMP is DL'd.
At this time it will see the existing backed up work folder. The correct core file is then dl'd and it starts crunching.
theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Post by theMASS »

Ivoshiee wrote:http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html
It is nice and dandy way to get the FAH client running, but if it does contain the FAH client executable(s) on it then it is violating the FAH EULA http://folding.stanford.edu/English/License:
Distribution of this software is prohibited. It may only be obtained by downloading from Stanford's web site (http://folding.stanford.edu and pages linked therein).
Can anyone confirm if it does have the FAH executables on it or does it download it at run time?
It downloads them at run every time you reboot which shouldn't be often with the included hang check script. Unless you are running under VMware this solution is strictly for dedicated boxes. Until the version released today the keyboard wasn't even functional.

The source code is available at http://foldingcd.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/foldingcd/ I didn't code it, but I answer questions about it ;) I volunteered to create "official" documentation for the Diskless suite as a whole which includes the Folding CD. I hope to get it posted soon.
toTOW wrote:There is already a topic about it, you don't need to create a new one : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=922
I thought "that/this" thread was specific to a particular issue with the CD. But if it's preferred to keep all Folding CD info in a single thread, fine by me.

EDIT: OOPS...sorry got up late today... didn't see that I was WAY BEHIND :shock:
theMASS
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)

Post by theMASS »

Thought I'd mention that there is a new release of the Folding CD... This is actually the second "new" one since the last post here. HANG CHECK HAS BEEN FIXED if you haven't already upgraded.
http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html

14 March 08: Upgrade to new kernel version (support more network cards), glibc and busybox. Fix 1881099 - Add folding directory link to web interface. Fix 1880850 - Optional enable of screen blanking. Fix 1914624 - Configurable Workgroup. Fix 1914625 - Disabling of nmbd and smbd.
1 March 08: Fix a bug in the hang check - wasn't killing cores with a 0 in the PID. Fix 1903637 - Add kill link to homepage. Fix 1870815 - Allow SMP per 2 CPUs.
Lgringo

Post by Lgringo »

is there a way to in effect tell a running notfred machine "-oneunit"?, i.e., if I need to take the machine down for a few days, how do I finish the current WU & not start a new one?
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

Lgringo wrote:is there a way to in effect tell a running notfred machine "-oneunit"?, i.e., if I need to take the machine down for a few days, how do I finish the current WU & not start a new one?
There are a bunch of variables that effect the best or possible way to achieve what you are trying to do.

1. Which version are you running? (which reminds I need to put in a request for version/revision to be displayed on the web interface)
2. Are you using Backup files? and if yes where are they being stored?
3. Are we talking about SMP or standard WU?

If you are booting from or using a USB stick for Backups and have another machine running you can just move the stick to another box when box #2 finishes its current WU and #2 will pickup where #1 left off.

I can think of a few hacky ways to keep from downloading a new work unit but only recommend them as a last option. You can block Internet access to the box you wish to stop in your router. Physically disconnect from your network until work unit is complete. (can be risky but there are ways to lessen the risk) but it's almost 4am and I'm too tired to type it up in a manner that would make sense ;)

If you use notfred's stuff having a USB flash drive comes in very handy and worth every penny of the 10 bucks you can get them for.
chungenhung

Download of FAH 6 failed!? [using notfred disk]

Post by chungenhung »

I was unable to download the Linux version of FAH6.

I am using NotFred's folding USB disk drive.
The following address is shown on screen.
Failed to download the client from Stanford's website:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... -Linux.tgz

I have been using the USB disk for a long time, and this is the first time I've seen this.
I manually typed in the web address on my other windows machine, and it says page cannot be found.

Update:
ok, I've just checked the download page http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download
and the version for Linux is 6.02beta. Is it that the old 6.00 link has been removed? When was it removed?
I have also tried the new 03/14 update of the NotFred's USB disk, and still no luck.
bruce

Re: Download of FAH 6 failed!? [using notfred disk]

Post by bruce »

chungenhung wrote:ok, I've just checked the download page http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download
and the version for Linux is 6.02beta. Is it that the old 6.00 link has been removed? When was it removed?
All beta clients get replaced with newer versions on a regular basis. That makes notfred's maintenance job a tough one unless he points to a released client (which will probably have a much longer lifespan).