maxFAH ( installer/manager/monitor for windows )

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

kiore

Re: maxFAH ( installer/manager/monitor for windows )

Post by kiore »

OK deleted all and restarted, download went well but at the end of the download get a small window with
"Can't continue Deino installation because required files where (sic) not found! maxFAH will attempt to remove all files.."
Proceeding to try and download GPUs without SMP.
OK GPU goes past stage of me entering my details and gets same error message as before maxFAH has encountered a problem and needs to close.., but here are the details.
Error signature:
Event Type: clr20r3 P1: maxfah.exe P2 0.1.0.6 P3 49e460c4 P4; maxfah P5 0.1.0.6 P6 49e460c4 P7 6 P8 21
P9 system.nullreferenceexception

Note I now have 3 icons on desktop maxfah-setup, maxfah-set and start maxfah.

Hope this helps.

Feel there is just some small obstacle blocking this..

kiore.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Yeah seems that the copying of the deino client from program files to the \downloaded clients location did not go as it should, think I know why ( i been working on this on an x64 pc, and I might have gone wrong with the program files location ).

It's still strange, as I did test that part of the code ages ago on xp32 and it worked, I made some changes to it later on which I thought could not influence that particular part so I have to take a look at it again.

Btw, I decided to already put all the revised sourcecode on google code, the project was there but 5 months not updated with changes so it definetly needed a refresh. The viewing of code is only allowed for members though, as I said I want to complete this before it's entirely gpl'd.

I'll be doing tests on my gf's machine right now ( xp32 sp2 ).

Edit: I see the problem, I know how to fix it won't be long :)
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Delete the files you downloaded and the one's which where partially installed, download http://www.mtm78.nl/maxfah/maxfah-setup.zip and extract to temp folder and run maxFah.exe. After install just to be safe copy the dll's to where you installed ( doesn't do this by default ).

The fault in the deino part was due to not having the correct path, I moved downloaded client to a diffrent location after I finished testing. I just confirmed it to work on my gf's xp32 install, though the client control is sketchy ( stop client, which on vista is fail safe, now doesn't work most of the times so you still have to use crtl+c ).
Christopher N. Lewis

Post by Christopher N. Lewis »

Hi MtM

Thought I'd see if your maxFAH would help me create a second uniprocessor client, in addition to the one CPU and two GPU that I already have running (Athlon X2). I'm not sure if this supposed to be possible.
This is under Windows XP SP3, without any of the FAH clients running. Anyway, started installing, got the Unknown Publisher warning, got the Early beta warning, got a screen that flashed up, which seemed to have a progress bar and at least two radio buttons marked Overwrite and Dont Overwrite. That screen quickly vanished and I got a "maxFAH.exe - Application Error" box with the message 'The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.'

Hope this is useful for you.
Folding for my father
MtM

Post by MtM »

1. it's not ment to install additional clients ( but it shouldn't matter much IF you make sure the existing clients have machineID's going from 16 on down as the installer goes the other way around )
2. That screen is from the sfx extractor, indicating you ran it more then once.

Most importantly, download the zip from the post above and try that :)

All the feedback is usefull, always :)
Christopher N. Lewis

Post by Christopher N. Lewis »

MtM wrote:2. That screen is from the sfx extractor, indicating you ran it more then once.
So should I delete something before I try again?
Folding for my father
MtM

Post by MtM »

The installer extracted to your %temp% folder, but with the zip method it doesn't matter. The leftovers are less then 1mb and are located in your %temp% folder so you can remove them but you don't need to ( well eventually cleaning %temp% is almost required on any windows install ).
kithylin

Post by kithylin »

Okay, I have a small issue... and I'm not sure what the problem is, so i'll post here and see if the program's creator can assist.

I have 3 computers i want to run F@H on, and I'd rather use MaxF@H because it's really nice and makes everything super easy to manage.

Computer #1:
3800mhz Intel i7 920
3 * GTS-250
Vista Ultimate x64

Computer #2:
2.2ghz Athlon64
1 * nvidia 7800 GTS
Vista Ultimate x64

Computer #3:
Dell PowerEdge 6400
Onboard video.
Windows Server 2003

Problem:
Computer #1 will load MaxF@H, it configures all 5 clients ( 3 gpu 2 smp-cpu) perfectly fine, and it works and crunches work units. However if i attempt to install MaxF@H on Computer #2, it comes up with "maxFAH has stopped working" and fails. If i run maxFAH.exe on Computer #3, it just flashes busy cursor for 2 minutes then nothing happens, and the process isn't listed in task manager. I'll likely go load smp-cpu manually on Computer #3, but still... Any input on these problems?
MtM

Post by MtM »

I think the error on comp2 is caused by the gpu not being folding capable, though I tested this with a 7900gt on the same os that you have. Clean out the %temp% folder after a failed/partial install to avoid problems with stale files. I have not tested with 03 server but sdk indicated it should be the method as on XP( it uses win32_processor, there is an update for the implementation with regards to server 03 but itś an very old one and I assume you already have it installed. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924779
WangFeiHong

Post by WangFeiHong »

Referring to the post by Dr. Pande on 20 August 09,
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2009/08 ... grity.html
Please use only the controls provided by the client and the operating system; do not modify the cores or Folding@Home data in any way. Doing so is the equivalent of providing a tainted donation. When we detect such tainted donations, we may remove points awarded, decline further donations by blocking work assignment, or take further action. We greatly appreciate your contributions to Folding@Home; please don't devalue your collective work by undermining the scientific results.
Don't you think that we should simply use the client from Stanford itself, rather than your installer? Your installer after all is 3rd-party and does not seem to be supported by the FAH team.
MtM

Post by MtM »

Mr Wang.

You seem to like to post things which would make me look bad, think I stepped on your toes in the past, hurt your feelings or something.

Now, please deal with that without these fruitless attacks on me. You really think you need to correct something PG and all the mods/admins here would miss?

Do you have any reason to think an installer modifies the cores or data?

Are you going to protest about finstall, or increase? Or do you have some personal agenda here?

Your post is reported for trolling, since well that's what you're doing.. again! Leave things you don't understand alone..
WangFeiHong

Post by WangFeiHong »

Please use only the controls provided by the client and the operating system
I am not sure what their stand is, because they do not state it here, but the above statement states the client and OS and only them, and hence excludes all 3rd-party installers.
MtM

Post by MtM »

Wang, Bruce already removed your trolling posts once from my thread, I'd advice you to find some usefull things to do with your time.

Edit: ahh now I understand your timing -> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11533

Anyway, reports still stand, you're again trolling and I expect the moderators to keep in line with former descissions made about your post of this nature. They been removed before and you where warned to not do this again. Maybe you think because Bruce will not be around you're allowed to continue this without getting banned?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

WangFeiHong wrote:
Please use only the controls provided by the client and the operating system
I am not sure what their stand is, because they do not state it here, but the above statement states the client and OS and only them, and hence excludes all 3rd-party installers.
What they stand here is that your can only use client flags or environment variables to modify the client behavior. What is forbidden is to alter client or core.

But if you'd search about how these installer works, you could see that they don't do anything wrong : they download the appropriate clients from Stanford and create the required shortcuts with the right flags ... nothing that you can't do yourself.

Installer posted on this forum (Increase, finstall, MaxFAH, ...) have been tested and Pande Group knows about them. If something would be wrong with them, they'd asked an admin or moderator to remove any references to them.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
tobor
Hardware configuration: ASUS M3N-HT deluxe,AMD6400 duel 3.2gig, GeForce9800 GTX C-760 M-1140 S-1900,4 gig OCZ ddr

Post by tobor »

I D/L maxfah and extrcted back to desktop.
I hit the .exe but nothing happens?
I'm running XP hm sp2