download and run all day with no interNet connection

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

GmsCool

download and run all day with no interNet connection

Post by GmsCool »

Hi, I've been looking for something that I can't seem to find, probably doesn't even exist.

But here is my situation, my rig is a Q9450 OC'd to 3.733GHz with two 8800GT's OC'd two 700MHz ...... and I don't have a full time internet connection.

I'm looking to find if there is a way to download all the workloads, and upload and download when I finally connect to the internet later.

You guys know of anything like that? Right now I'm getting 6-8 PPD but I could be getting much better.

Thanks.
Team EggXpert: 70567
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: download and run all day with no interNet connection

Post by toTOW »

What you're looking for is called Sneakernetting ... here is a wiki entry that explains how it works : http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Sneakernetting

You'll soon notice that's a real pain when it involves fast computers and high performance clients ... :(

The best solution would be to find a way to connect your machine directly to the Internet ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
GmsCool

Post by GmsCool »

I see what you mean. I was hoping for something automated that would just load up the next workload automatically.

This PC has an internet connection, its just only on the internet when I am using it. I live very far out in the country side, so I only have two options for internet connections. 28.8 kbps dial-up, and my 3G Verizon Wireless connection, neither can stay online 24/7.

Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will come out with one soon.

Thanks for your response.
bruce

Post by bruce »

It may be possible to configure your system to dial a connection whenever FAH want's to connect to the internet. I have done that successfully with an old version of the FAH client but not with the newer clients. I'm not sure if it is even possible with v6. I was using 48 kbps dial-up and it was fine for small WUs and it was on an early version of Win XP (without the security patches). If the security updates are already on your OS, you'll probably have to wait for a V7 client and I can't guarantee that it will provide that sort of support.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

If you don't trust the automatic dial up/hang up procedure, I think you should enable the "ask before connect" feature. If a WU complete when you're not online, the client will wait until you click on OK to access the Internet.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
GmsCool

Post by GmsCool »

Apreciate the input, thanks. :-)
ELF2000
Hardware configuration: Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 2GB DDR2 | 512MB Radeon 4870 | 650w Cool Master PSU | 1 GPU client and 1 Windows SMP client

Post by ELF2000 »

toTOW wrote:If you don't trust the automatic dial up/hang up procedure, I think you should enable the "ask before connect" feature. If a WU complete when you're not online, the client will wait until you click on OK to access the Internet.
I was using the "ask before connect" feature when I was on 46k dial up. I was using v5 console client (before smp). It would display a box with a OK button when it's finished a WU.