HFM.NET - Monitoring Application for Folding@Home v7

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

bollix47

Re: HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home

Post by bollix47 »

1) WU History: This would be an interesting feature where the Client records all the successfully completed WU done by the Client. It could be grouped according to the Projects done. Something that was initially available in the Official Stats but was later removed. The idea is that F@H users complete unique WUs so there isn't any duplication on general basis unless you miss the Preferred Deadline or got errors. Now I am expecting this to be low on the list of your to-do as this doesn't really have any actual usage but would be interesting.
HFM already does this. Look for a file named CompletedUnits.csv. It can be imported into a spreadsheet program and sorted any way you like. :wink:
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Thanks a lot bollix47, however I do have a question:

If I were to format the file to make it in a table, sort it, hide some columns, rearrange the column positions and save it, will HFM.NET be able to use that file or will it make it a new one? If it uses the same file, will my settings be the same or will they be reverted to the original one?
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Personally, I would copy the file and do any work with the copied file. It might be okay using the original but I'm not sure so I would copy it. You can probably create some kind of macro so that making the changes each time you copy the file doesn't require the time to do each change manually every time.
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

PantherX wrote:Today I was babysitting the uploading of my 6041 WU which was 54 MB and took roughly 1.25 hours. During this time, I was getting some ideas about some "features" - if you may call it- that would be interesting to have in the future versions of the Client: (programming is easier said than done so I do respect all your handwork and dedication that you have put in to making such amazing software that too for FREE :!:)

1) WU History: This would be an interesting feature where the Client records all the successfully completed WU done by the Client. It could be grouped according to the Projects done. Something that was initially available in the Official Stats but was later removed. The idea is that F@H users complete unique WUs so there isn't any duplication on general basis unless you miss the Preferred Deadline or got errors. Now I am expecting this to be low on the list of your to-do as this doesn't really have any actual usage but would be interesting.

2) The feature of showing the FAHLog for the selected WU is an interesting one but it only works for FAHLog.txt. It would be interesting if it could also read the FAHLog-Prev.txt Also the color coding is nice but not uniform, maybe in later versions, this would be fixed completely (looking forward to that). Also I would like to add when the WU is over, the Fahlog should be displayed till "[14:46:53] + Number of Units Completed: X" as it indicates a successful completion rather than "[14:49:46] + Closed connections" as this is technically the next WU (I don't mean to be rude or anything rather telling what I think would be more appropriate). The rest of the Log should be displayed for the next WU. Also when I fail to receive WU from the Server, and restart the Client, HFM.NET displays "No Log Available". While it is true for the selected WU, (I got scared the first time I saw it and took me some time to figure out) I would suggest that the WU Info be automatically blank when the displaying the FAHLog. I hope this is on you to-do list once the Client is out of BETA Stage.

Well these are my observations and I decided to share them. Feel free to comment.
Thanks for those kind words. :)

1) I think you've got your answer. But to answer your second question, if you mess with the layout of that file HFM isn't going to respect it. It will continue writing the values in the order in which they are seen.

2a) FAHlog-Prev parsing is something I will tackle later... much later. See the list of Issues I already have planned for the next point release: http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/issues/list

2b) What is wrong with the log coloring exactly? I'm aware that things can be colored incorrectly due to word wrap on the log... which will be fixed in the next version.

2c) Oh no my friend... the WU "boundaries" will remain the same. This is truly a matter of opinion I realize. Really, to HFM it's more a question of where a WU starts rather than where one ends. The indicator of "+ Processing Work Unit..." (or whatever it is) is very consistent across all clients and has served me well. There's a lot more to do here than just what is displayed to the user. What is displayed is what is actually parsed as well, making the log section you see actually where any data is gathered for that particular WU.

2d) Whats wrong with "No Log Available"? Because you started the client and it doesn't show anything yet? Maybe your client continually tried to receive work but could not... then you don't know what's going on? Confirm that's what you're saying... I think I have an Issue entered on something like this already or I remember making a change to the effect of... "show the entire FAHlog.txt if no WU has started since the last client start".
SantaFe

Post by SantaFe »

I like HFM in general, I just wish you could view the ETA like FahMon. I.E. "06/18/10 04:31" instead of "1d 08hr 54min". Otherwise I think HFM is working okay.
Aren't you glad you use http://foldingforum.org! Don't you wish Everybody did? :D
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

SantaFe wrote:I like HFM in general, I just wish you could view the ETA like FahMon. I.E. "06/18/10 04:31" instead of "1d 08hr 54min". Otherwise I think HFM is working okay.

+1
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

harlam357 wrote:2d) Whats wrong with "No Log Available"? Because you started the client and it doesn't show anything yet? Maybe your client continually tried to receive work but could not... then you don't know what's going on? Confirm that's what you're saying... I think I have an Issue entered on something like this already or I remember making a change to the effect of... "show the entire FAHlog.txt if no WU has started since the last client start".
Yep when the SMP2 Servers were down, I changed the flags to try to get WUs and it simply stated "No Log Available". Your idea about displaying the entire FAHLog is a GREAT one. Do I have to enable some option or tweak some settings?

I went through the feature list for 0.6 and really loved ID 169. Can't wait for it to be released. BTW will the auto-update work in this case? I am using 0.5 msi installer.
ETA:

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

bollix47 wrote:
SantaFe wrote:I like HFM in general, I just wish you could view the ETA like FahMon. I.E. "06/18/10 04:31" instead of "1d 08hr 54min". Otherwise I think HFM is working okay.

+1
+1 more
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
Russ_64
Hardware configuration: Dual Xeon E5645 (12C/24T) / 24Gb DDR3 - VMware ESXi 6.7.0
FAH v7.5.1

Post by Russ_64 »

Will be in next release (0.6) - issue log #76

Big thank you to harlam357 for making a great tool even better :)
ImageImageImage
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

I was about to say... yeah, the ETA option is coming. ;)
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

I was looking at CompletedUnits.csv (never really knew it was there until bollix's post), and there's a bug related to project 6701:

That "neutralized" is causing everything else in the row to shift right by 1 cell.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

That's because there is a comma in the description which probably shouldn't be there or should be removed before storing.

Code: Select all

p6701_VSD in POPC and water, neutralized
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

bollix47 wrote:That's because there is a comma in the description which probably shouldn't be there or should be removed before storing.

Code: Select all

p6701_VSD in POPC and water, neutralized
Well, there ya go. :)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

I would suggest that you make a shortcut to CompletedUnits.csv Under the Tools and call it "WU History" The reason is that I believe it is a very useful feature and that it is hidden. To fully exploit its usefulness, it could be accessed by Ctrl+H (like you access the Benchmark by Crtl+B). Also I have a question; you stated "It will continue writing the values in the order in which they are seen." so if I were to hide these columns:
Work Unit Name
Username
Team
and rearrange some columns according to my choice, will the data be written correctly? Also if I were to format it as a table and have alternating background colour and sort according to the Instance Name will it continue to write the correct data. (sorry if it seems that I am asking too many questions. I just want to make sure that you understand what I want to do)

Another thing I noticed was I installed the GPU2 Client and when I wanted to add it to HFM.NET, in the Client name, I accidentally added GPU3 (it already is exists but I am not running it for now) but pointed it to the correct path, when I clicked OK, it gave me an error that name already exists (so far it is normal) it then exits the dialogue (unexpected) I was wondering if it would just show the same window were I can edit the name instead of doing the entire process again. Note that I am not lazy, just wanted to know if you knew about it, if so, then what's your impression.

Thanks.
ETA:

bruce

Post by bruce »

Start with the file in it's present format. Do not change it. Let HFM continue to update it.

Create a procedure that converts the data from that format to the format you want. There are many ways to do that, but using something like Excel, you can import designated columns using a style sheet and make it look just the way you want it to.

After you've looked at it, save the proceedure, but discard the image it produced. Next time you want to see it, run the procedure again.