HFM.NET - Monitoring Application for Folding@Home v7

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home

Post by Ivoshiee »

I get following error with latest HFM.NET install (new system install with no previous HFM.NET present):

Code: Select all

HFM.NET v0.5.0

Windsor Container Failed to Initialize.  The HFM.exe.config file is likely corrupt.

Exception Thrown:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
   at Castle.Core.Internal.SlimReaderWriterLock..ctor()
   at Castle.DynamicProxy.ModuleScope..ctor(Boolean savePhysicalAssembly, String strongAssemblyName, String strongModulePath, String weakAssemblyName, String weakModulePath)
   at Castle.DynamicProxy.ProxyGenerator..ctor()
   at Castle.Windsor.WindsorContainer..ctor(String name, IKernel kernel, IComponentsInstaller installer)
   at Castle.Windsor.WindsorContainer..ctor(IKernel kernel, IComponentsInstaller installer)
   at Castle.Windsor.WindsorContainer..ctor(IConfigurationInterpreter interpreter)
   at HFM.Program.Main(String[] args)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

Please verify that the .NET Framework v3.5 is installed.
sgb101

Post by sgb101 »

im sorry harlem, i just re read my post.
i currently run windows 7pro 64 bit, and on it i am running vmware3.0, which is running a FAH Image for bigadvs, abit like a Notfread setup.

here is a link to the set up of the client http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=187308

i also fold the on another win7 pc which i currently monitor from my laptop running win7, i would like to know if i can (and how to) monitor the FAH image client from my laptop with HFM :)
i5 750@3.47-4Gb ddr3-HD5850-Win 7 64bit
i7 920@3.87-6Gb ddr3-9800GT- Win7 64bit
Evaders99

Post by Evaders99 »

Sure, set up folder sharing into the FAH work directory and use the network path, ie. \\computer-name\folder
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

My Samba setup guide for Ubuntu, that I linked previously, is what you need to do... if you're on Ubuntu or one of its other flavors. Otherwise, I'd look for a Samba setup guide specific to your Linux distro of choice.

Once you have Samba setup on your Linux box properly it's just a matter of inputting the UNC path, \\computer-name\folder, like Evaders said.
sgb101

Post by sgb101 »

im not running any linux distros at all, if you have a quick look at the like i provided and read my last post u will see im not running any form of linux.

i am running a FAH linux image that loads straight to the vmware and starts to fold. please look and se it it is possable to monitor with HFM
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

Ok... so this is a pre-built Linux image for FAH. I'm with you.

It shows you right here, based on this screen shot, what you need to get this VM working with HFM.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164 ... ncut-2.jpg
sgb101

Post by sgb101 »

thanks stupid me, i figured it out after i posted. i need to pay attention in the future lol. same as notfread monitoring.
sgb101

Post by sgb101 »

is there anyone working on an android HFM app, would be cool if it could be used to monitor over the internet so while im at work a can see how my clients are getting on via my phone. :P
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

Hehe... I'm not getting into android development anytime soon. :D However, I use my Droid to monitor my clients daily. You need to setup the Web Generation feature. Sorry I don't have a really good set of instructions on how to do that, but it's pretty simple. You just need a public web server where HFM can upload the generated html files. Then you can check the status of your clients from wherever you are. :)

To have HFM upload the files to the server you'll need an FTP account. Then, in the target textbox you enter a URL like the following in lieu of a local/network folder path.

ftp://username:thepassword@webserver.com/foldername/
sgb101

Post by sgb101 »

thanks harlam, but thats way above me, might have a look into it thou when i get back from my hols. :D
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

First I want to thank harlam357 for making this amazing program that is very simple to use and is able to present a lot of information in an easy-to-understand manner.
I have noticed some bugs that I am not sure if they will be fixed or not. If this has been covered already, sorry but my search didn't find that answers. Here is the list:

1) In the Benchmark Viewer, "Number of Frames Observed: X" and X never goes above 300 although I have completed 10+ WUs for the same Project. Hopefully this can be fixed in the newer versions.

2) The CPU Type is incorrect in reporting.

I do have a suggestion for the SMP Client as in the Queue, it states "SMP Cores" (it reports correctly 7) and then it states "Cores To Use" (reports 8) and it would make more sense to rename the latter to "Total Cores"

Thanks.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

Hi PantherX,

Thanks for those kind words... I sincerely appreciate it. :)

1) The "Number of Frames Observed" is capped at 300 on purpose. What's that's telling you is, there are 300 frames considered in the average frame time. I have considered opening up a setting for the user to choose this value. But as you might expect a reasonable upper bound must be maintained.

2) The CPU Type is what is recorded by Stanford in the queue.dat file. It is not read directly by HFM through any other means. That particular piece of the UI is the Queue Viewer and it displays the data contained within the queue.dat file. I'm sure your Core 2 or Core i5/7 cpu is reporting as a Pentium II/III. In all fairness to Stanford, the "Core" generation of cpus are descendants of the PII/III generations. A lot of the same "markers" identifying the PII/III are still in place in the "Core" generation. So to Stanford that's what they look like.

Again, the nomenclature here was something I took from the maintainer of qd.c - http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/?target=so ... -tools.plc - a gentleman here by the name of smoking2000. I agree that data may be better reported with a different name, like "Total Cores" or "Available Cores". I assume you're running with the -smp 7 flag?
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

You assumption is correct. Also thanks for the explanation.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

harlam357 wrote:2) The CPU Type is what is recorded by Stanford in the queue.dat file. It is not read directly by HFM through any other means. That particular piece of the UI is the Queue Viewer and it displays the data contained within the queue.dat file. I'm sure your Core 2 or Core i5/7 cpu is reporting as a Pentium II/III. In all fairness to Stanford, the "Core" generation of cpus are descendants of the PII/III generations. A lot of the same "markers" identifying the PII/III are still in place in the "Core" generation. So to Stanford that's what they look like.

Again, the nomenclature here was something I took from the maintainer of qd.c - http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/?target=so ... -tools.plc - a gentleman here by the name of smoking2000. I agree that data may be better reported with a different name, like "Total Cores" or "Available Cores". I assume you're running with the -smp 7 flag?
That nomenclature is not from Smoking2000, it's from Cosm.

Cosm is used by f@h, Dick Howell disected queue.dat for the most important parts and found the references to Cosm API. It's not the other way around, Dick/Smoking2000 did not come up with Cosm.
User Projects
User project are those that use Mithral products to create other applications. Many are research projects that you may be able to get involved with.

If you have a project that should be on this list then let us know.

Projects Using the Mithral CS-SDK
Folding@Home - Protein folding.
Pande Group, Chemistry Department, Stanford University

Proteins are the basis of how biology gets things done. For this reason, we've sequenced the human genome -- the blueprint for all of the proteins in biology -- but how can we understand what these proteins do and how they work? One important step is to study how proteins self-assemble, or "fold." This is an extremely computationally intensive task, since proteins fold no slower than a 10 microseconds (10^-6 seconds), but we can only routinely simulate nanoseconds (10^-9 seconds).
We've developed a new way to simulate protein folding which can break the microsecond barrier by dividing the work between multiple processors in a new way -- with a near linear speed up in the number of processors. Thus, with 1000 processors, we can break the microsecond barrier and unlock the mystery of how proteins fold.
CPU/OS Layer
The Cosm CPU/OS layer allows cross-platform development of applications of any kind.

Time and cost savings
The developer can devote all of their time to their project, and leave all the porting issues to the CPU/OS layer. Once an application is written porting is just a matter of typing `make` on a different system. This frees up developers to focus on making your product work correctly, rather then hunting down wierd platform bugs.

Languages
The CPU/OS layer is 100% pure ANSI C and is fully linkable with programs written in C, C++, and FORTRAN. This allows you to leverage your existing C and FORTRAN codebase for new applications, or even use it for CS-SDK applications.

Platforms (partial list)
Windows 95/98/NT/XP - x86
MacOS X - PPC
Linux - Alpha, ARM, IA-64, MIPS, PPC, Sparc, x86
Solaris - Sparc, x86
SunOS - x86
FreeBSD - Alpha, x86
NetBSD - Sparc
Irix - Mips, Mips64
Tru64 - Alpha
BeOS - x86
QNX - x86