FahMon is hung on several clients

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Scott_M

FahMon is hung on several clients

Post by Scott_M »

I am running V. 2.3.99.1 and for about the last week or so at least 3 of the 10 clients I am monitoring always show *Hung* and the red box.
Sometimes if I click reload this client it will, some times it won't. It is usually 3-4 or 5 hung clients. And they are not always the same clients. I have it set to refresh every 5 min. When it does the hung clients usually clear and I get 3-4 more different hung clients.
The only thing that has changed on my network lately is I reformatted 1 machine and installed Win 7. This machine had 7 on it before. FahMon is monitoring it ( when it is not hung on this box ).

Can anybody think of anything to check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

And to be clear, I have been using FahMon for a long time with no issues. This behavior just started last week.
Scott

toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: FahMon is hung on several clients

Post by toTOW »

Check the box "Ignore asynchronous clocks" in Fahmon > Preferences > Monitoring tab. It should help. (It also helps if you make sure that all your machine have the right clock set ... most OSes have features to keep you synchronized with universal clock servers).

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Scott_M

Post by Scott_M »

Thanks toTOW !

That seemed to help. They are blue now, but they are no longer hung. I will double check to make sure all machines are set to automaticly set thier clocks. They should be.

Thanks
Scott

Scott_M

Post by Scott_M »

Update

All the boxen were set to update time via time.nist.gov , except my main rig (where I monitor from ) it was set to update from time.windows.com.
I switched it to time.nist.gov and all indicators are now green. I even unchecked "Ignore asynchronous clocks" and all is still green.

I think it is kind of odd, but all is well.

Thanks again
Scott

chungenhung

Post by chungenhung »

i set mine to "Ignore asynchronous clocks" but it is still showing me hungs when it is not.
and what does a blue color mean?
kiore

Post by kiore »

Just read this today and then my FahMon started doing this too, read "Hung" but shows still working in the log file underneath and progress % is still working won't show unit info either.
New unit downloaded and showed up as per normal, but at 3% also Hung again.
Effected my console and gpu clients but not my vmSMP.
Have done the clocks and played with settings and rebooted to no avail.
Anything else? Or do we just wait for this buggy version to get fixed. Do like FahMon but this new version is full of little surprises.
kiore.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
LiamC

Post by LiamC »

kiore, how about contributing to free software rather than bagging it? It is not helpful.

On topic, I am having the same issue with FahMon, using versions 2.3.2b, 2.3.4 and 2.3.99.1. AFAICT, it only started happening 48 hours (or a bit more) ago.

Was using 2.3.4 monitoring six clients on one network (local and network clients). Upgraded to 2.3.99.1 with no change.

Using 2.3.2b on a physically separate machine with one local client.
LiamC

Post by LiamC »

I just noticed after 10:00AM local that 2.3.2b is showing normal again. I am GMT +10, and it is now June 1, so I'm wondering if this is just a time zone issue?
kiore

Post by kiore »

@Liam C, not bagging it not quite sure where you got that from, describing it as buggy was just that, a description of the current state. I was describing the issues it the hope that someone could fix the issue or at least suggest something else to try. :roll:
Noted yesterday that every restart or new download worked until 3% then showed as "Hung".
All working again fine this morning.
kiore
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
LiamC

Post by LiamC »

I wouldn't describe the software as buggy -- implies that it has lot's of bugs. It had a single issue, that resolved itself, and that issue may have been due to 3rd party data files, and not Fahmon itself. That's where it came from. Apologies if that was not your intent.
chrisretusn
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

I have a one dual core computer processing two WU's and one single core computer processing one WU all being monitored by FahMon 2.3.99.1; FahMon is running on the dual core machine. This morning on checking their progress I found all three clients showing *hung*. A check on the time a both machines shows they are in sync; both get time updates from time.nist.gov. All three of the WU are running and I see nothing in the logs to indicate any problems. The time between steps completed is consistent with earlier log entries. In short all three WU's appear to be running normally.

What could be the cause of this?
Folding on Slackware Linux.
chrisretusn
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

Well it fixed it self. I did nothing.
Folding on Slackware Linux.