New Super Computer Hardware/Software Advances. [URL]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

LIVESTRONG

Re: New Super Computer Hardware/Software Advances. [URL]

Post by LIVESTRONG »

I can't find one on eBay.

Can you imagine working there? I would end up spilling my coffee and shorting 500 cores.

I used to walk past the first digital computer at Iowa State on my way to class. I find it fascinating that in 50 years people will be laughing at 160,000 core "supercomputers". I had also never heard the term voxel until reading this.

Send them an email asking if they can spare a day to get a PPD stat.
Main: E8400 4.0GHz, 4GB DDR2, BFG GTX 275, WD Raptor 300GB 10k RPM, WD 500GB, SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro

2nd: P4 3.8GHz, 2GB DDR2, PNY GTX 260 (Core 216), 160GB 7.2k RPM

LIVESTRONG. FOLDSTRONG.
tcphillips
Hardware configuration: [img]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=296154[/img]

Post by tcphillips »

Just for fun....

Have any of you guys out there ever worked on an analog computer?

How about a "hybrid" computer?

OK, so how many of you know what they are/were?

Tom -- Romeo, Michigan

1 x i5 - stock GTX 1070 ti + RTX 3070
1 x e3550 - stock 1 x GTX 750 + 1 x GTX 950

...cogito ergo complicare
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

I used a digial software that **simulated** and analog computer. I've never actually used one, but I've seen one and I understand what they do.
CrustyCat

Post by CrustyCat »

tcphillips wrote:Just for fun....

Have any of you guys out there ever worked on an analog computer?

How about a "hybrid" computer?

OK, so how many of you know what they are/were?

Tom -- Romeo, Michigan
I used an old "mini" computer while in the navy about 20 years ago that used switches, buttons, paper tape, cassettes, to program it and also had magnetic core memory. Woo Hoo!!! :D
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

I did part of my pilot's training in a simulator that consisted of a true analog computer -- using servomotors rather than amplifiers and resistors. Does that count?
tcphillips
Hardware configuration: [img]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=296154[/img]

Post by tcphillips »

We used to take over the entire "hybrid" computing center back in the 70's from 1700 until 0600, to run some relatively simple (or at least they would be considered so today) simulations.

Used the analog portion for solving the diff eq's and the digital portion for IO and statistical analysis.
Oh yeah, then there was the PDP-8 for control systems.

1 x i5 - stock GTX 1070 ti + RTX 3070
1 x e3550 - stock 1 x GTX 750 + 1 x GTX 950

...cogito ergo complicare
checka

Post by checka »

Better question is who can remember the transition from vacuum tubes to transistors? Or Harry Truman as president. My birth certificate is from the American Zone of Occupation and bears the stamped signature of Lucian Clay. don't quite remember the Berlin Airlift.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The other day I updated the firmware on a friend's big-screen TV. I was joking to my non-technical friends about installing new software on a TV because it sounds so idiotic to somebody who is thinking of a hard-wired TV.

Another friend runs a small office and they have a multi-line phone which decided to give a continuous ring-ring-ring... pattern indicating that something was wrong. They had already tried unplugging all the wires but it didn't correct the problem. It has a 9v battery hidden in the back which I removed . . . then replaced . . . and it cured the problem. Again, jokingly to my non-technical friends, I explained that all the phone needed was to be re-booted.

In a few years, what we think about the technical advances of today will seem just as crazy as the Ptolemaic view of the universe has since the time of Copernicus, Keppler, and Galileo.