I hope this is the one

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

I hope this is the one

Postby tes1900 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:46 am

:?: Presently F@H only uses up to about 50% of the available CPU and the rest being idle. Is there a way of setting it to use more, say 95% of the CPU when it’s available and only 5% idle?
Any ideas?
Tom
“Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God, I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.”
Patrick Henry (1776)
tes1900

Re: I hope this is the one

Postby MtM » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:05 am

What client did you install? If you used the uniprocessor client, that's only supposed to use one core. If you installed an SMP variant, you're missing a config flag ( -smp ). If you click on the Client download link at the top of the page, each client also has a faq attached which covers most basic configuration issues.
MtM

Postby John_Weatherman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Or have you got hyper-threading on the CPU? (I was surprised to see the new Atom low energy CPUs have HT)
John_Weatherman

Postby MtM » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:50 pm

Good one, forgot that last time when I saw a quad with 50% cpu usage :oops:
MtM

Postby P5-133XL » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:01 pm

tes1900 wrote::?: Presently F@H only uses up to about 50% of the available CPU and the rest being idle. Is there a way of setting it to use more, say 95% of the CPU when it’s available and only 5% idle?
Any ideas?
Tom

Need to know your hardware and the folding clients you currently use to specifically answer the question for your instance. In general, you can add as many uniprocessor clients as needed to get your processor usage as high as you want/need up to 100%. Just note that each client will need a unique machine ID number and stored in a separate folder.
P5-133XL

Return to Scientific discussions (Non-FAH)