IBM & the Personal Genome (URL).

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

codysluder

Re: IBM & the Personal Genome (URL).

Post by codysluder »

Interesting, though something is wrong here.

We're talking about a combination of computer technology and biological technology. Computer technology has Moore's Law which says things get either cheaper or faster by a factor of 2 every 18 months. I'm not familiar with a similar observation for biological science but somebody might know one. Based on personal observation (visits to my Doctor, etc.) costs keep going up although I'm probably also getting a benefit from better technology.

Either way, this doesn't compute:
Since then, the field has accelerated. In the last four to five years, the cost of sequencing has been falling at a rate of tenfold annually, according to George M. Church, a Harvard geneticist. In a recent presentation in Los Angeles, Dr. Church said he expected the industry to stay on that curve, or some fraction of that improvement rate, for the foreseeable future.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: IBM & the Personal Genome (URL).

Post by 7im »

No offense intended, but some would consider this recruiting for other DC projects, which would be bad manners. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.