SETI@Home Install Leads To School Tech Supervisor's Resignat

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

SETI@Home Install Leads To School Tech Supervisor's Resignat

Post by Ivoshiee »

toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: SETI@Home Install Leads To School Tech Supervisor's Resignat

Post by toTOW »

"We support educational research and certainly would have supported cancer research," said Higley superintendent Denise Birdwell. "However, as an educational institution we do not support the search for E.T."
He might not have been in such a trouble if he had chosen a more "terrestrial" project ... like FAH ? :mrgreen:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
mephistopheles
Hardware configuration: i7 2600K@4.1GHz; 8GB RAM

Post by mephistopheles »

I guess it serves as a reminder to ask permission if you want to install clients on somebody else's computers :)

Looks like the guy may even be facing criminal charges...: http://www.kpho.com/news/21778774/detail.html
Last edited by mephistopheles on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisretusn
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

It may have also helped if he had gotten permission in writing. Not sure I buy the story of the previous administration giving permission. If they did, I doubt it would have been for 5000 computers. One million dollars in added cost is a bit high too I think.
Folding on Slackware Linux.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Indeed ... don't forget to obtain written permission if you're planning to install the client on machine you don't own ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Well at 5000 computers for 10 years it could easily have reached 1M just in power. 10 years x 12 months x 5000 computers x $10/month/computer = $6M. $10 per month per computer is less than I spend on folding.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

They didn't even bother to list his SETI ranking. :wink:

Well at least not on the article on COMCAST. :oops:
And the local Newspaper.

It would have made the news more interesting. :lol:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Post by Beberg »

This happened a couple times to people back in my distributed.net days, not to mention a couple phone calls in the middle of the night with people thinking they had a virus since I was on the DNS entry.

When we tell you NOT to put something on work/friends machines without permission, we mean it. That goes double for Storage@home.
tear
Hardware configuration: None

Post by tear »

-- I did this at my brothers company too. I thought that the program "ran on minimal resources" while the computers were being used.
 But shortly after installing them on a dozen programs,everyone was complaining about how slow their computers were, so I had to
 covertly remove them to hide the true reason why they were slow. Lesson learned. At least it didn't cost me my job.
 Correction: I did this with FOLDING@home, not SETI. I think SETI isn't as useful.
-- The aliens have already done all of that protein folding nonsense. Once we make contact they'll share their technology, making your
 silly Folding@home obsolete.

what's not to love about /. ha ha

tear
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
extrasalty

Post by extrasalty »

The real story:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... s1202.html
MSI Eclipse i7@3.45GHz
2x GTX260@702/1053/1512 Win 7+VMware+linuxfah VM+bigadv

mephistopheles
Hardware configuration: i7 2600K@4.1GHz; 8GB RAM

Post by mephistopheles »

Stealing 18 computers from the workplace is obviously a crime. Although the power-and-wear costs of running a DC client on 5000 computers over 10 years is likely to be a much bigger financial loss for the school district...
chrisretusn
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

The plot thickens. :)
Folding on Slackware Linux.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

They allege several computer processors would burn out sooner than expected...
:lol:

Processors are always the last to go. Muggles. :roll:
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7up1n3

Post by 7up1n3 »

Always get permission first, and don't let it interfere w/ your primary role: doing your freaking job. Oh, and work hardware belongs at work, not at home. What a goon ... reminds me of the snake attack that took down How???. :(
Rage3D Admin ~ The Fighting 300 ~ Team Rage3D Folding
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: SETI@Home Install Leads To School Tech Supervisor's Resi

Post by 7im »

I apologize for the topic necromancy, but I recently received a PM asking if I knew what happened to Brad Niesluchowski? and wanted to share a little info.

Actually, it seems he was fired for being a bad IT Admin more than for running unapproved software. Misuse of the school property was just the easy excuse to show "cause" for firing on the paperwork according to this article. http://www.zdnet.com/article/admin-fire ... en-search/

Brad also has online social accounts showing constant employment since the original event, and is still working as an IT Admin at a spa. I didn't dig any deeper to see if he was convicted of a crime, fined, probation, just fired, or whatever. I'm sure the unwanted attention and life-long infamy was more than enough IMO.

And as noted above, please ALWAYS get permission to run Folding@home on hardware that you do not own, using electricity you do not pay for, and in writing most preferably. Management changes could leave you jobless, or worse. Please follow the Folding EULA as well.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.