More computing power. [URL]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Re: More computing power. [URL]

Post by Napoleon »

Sorry, couldn't resist some cherry picking on that...
It unveiled plans this week to build a chip that can compute likelihoods.
Unprecedented.
Over time, Lyric plans to step out from this military work and offer its wares to corporations working with large sets of data.
Very humanitarian of them.
Crucially, Lyric claims it can perform these calculations using just a handful of the transistors inside a chip rather than the hundreds it takes today because it has created algorithms and chip designs geared toward probability.
On a positive note, it will probably work. However, I can have a handful of transistors just by opening up any of the computers at my apartment and removing the cooling. A few simple gestures, and I'd have a hand full of transistors inside a chip. As for the algorithms, I will wait in breathless anticipation.
“To take it to the next level requires an investment that reaches into the hundreds of millions of dollars, and it’s very risky and very hard to raise money for that sort of play right now,” Mr. Stokes said.
Is it now?
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display