Distributed Computing Survey 2010

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

rhavern

Distributed Computing Survey 2010

Post by rhavern »

This is posted on behalf of Garo, a member of Ars Technica's Team Egg Roll:

Hi Everyone. Even though I've just registered on this board I am a long time Folding participant who started in 2000 as a member of TER. I post to ask for your assistance on a study of DC volunteers we are doing. We are a couple of academics (computer scientist and sociologist) who are conducting an anonymous survey for an academic book on why people participate in distributed computing projects and how and why participation has changed over the years. We did a short survey in 2005 and the findings were written up in the Journal for Computer Mediated Communication. We appreciate very much you giving up a few minutes of your time to help us document the exciting, valuable and enjoyable experience of participating in distributed computing. The survey is 24 questions with 16 of them being multiple choice.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DistComp

Thank you very much for your help.
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage
Vectrexer

Re: Distributed Computing Survey 2010

Post by Vectrexer »

done
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

done
single 1070

Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

done.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
nibbs
Hardware configuration: Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz; 2 GB DDR2-800; ATI Sapphire HD 4870 @ stock (not used for Folding atm)

Post by nibbs »

Done.
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

Done, though it didn't really "fit" DC donors like me. I found out about FAH through the PS3 "Life With Playstation", and there wasn't a listing for that.
We already had social group that involves motorsports, so we started up an FAH team on our "non-DC" forum website.
And since I own a small business, I'm incorporating DC/FAH capability into new computer builds for the shop.

I fit into the oldest age range of the survey, so perhaps like many others in this range, I have watched the creation and development of the personal computer since the beginning.

One thing I've noticed is the recent (everything is relative) growth of the Computer Social Groups. I see the DC/FAH as a natural extension of this. You might think of Farmville as either a CSG or a DC Group.

Millions of gigaflops are being used as we speak to create virtual "worlds" of people for entertainment purposes. Even Wikipedia could perhaps be thought of as a DC project.

For projects like FAH to expand, they will need to incorporate some of the same techniques that entertainment-based CSG's use to draw new clients. There is certainly both a science and an art to the development of mass networks of volunteer clients, and this aspect of DC will perhaps be the next big social science field. Someone who is educated in the techniques of developing and analyzing CSG's will be among the highest paid IT professionals.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
shdbcamping
Hardware configuration: XPS 720 Q6600 9800GX2 3gig RAM
750W primary PSU 650W Aux VGA PSU

Post by shdbcamping »

done
sswilson
Hardware configuration: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula / AMD 1090T / 4X2 Gig GSkill Pi PC3-12800 / Corsair TX750W PSU / Sparkle GTX275 Plus / CoolerMaster Cosmos S / MCP655 WC Pump / MCR320 Rad / 6X Yate Loons / PA120.1 / 2X Scythe Ultra Kaze / Enzotech Luna WB / Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA

Gigabyte P35-DQ6 / Q6600 / 2X 1G 1066 Firestix / "Baked" XFX GTX 280 (RIP again :( ) / MSI GTS 450 Cyclone OC /PC P&C 750W Silencer / MCR220-QP-Res / DD DDCPX-Pro / Apogee GT / Highspeed PC Tech Station / Samsung 931BF / BenQ Q9T4

Post by sswilson »

Pretty easy to tell which questions came from the sociologist, and which ones came from the IT guy.... ;)

Good luck with your survey / research. Too often the social engineering aspect of keeping folks engaged with a DC project is either ignored all together, or placed extemely low on the priority list. The better informed we are on the human components of the DC process, the easier it'll be to keep the data flowing.

The comment above is by no means an attempt to take a poke at DC management.... It's simply human nature that the scientists are going to be strongly focussed on getting/interpreting the data, and that the IT folks are going to be focussed on keeping the servers on-line, writing the code, and getting that data into a format that the researchers will be able to sort through. Unfortunately, with these priorities being front and center, what often gets missed is the human element at the client end of the equation. Keeping them happy, informed, and engaged is (IMO) just as important to the success of a DC project as any of the priorities I've already listed.