Overheating laptop starts fire [NOT FAH related!]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

John_Weatherman

Overheating laptop starts fire [NOT FAH related!]

Post by John_Weatherman »

A warning about laptops ...
From SanLuisObispo.com

UPDATE: Pismo Street fire caused by laptop computer Posted on Mon, Mar. 17, 2008
The fire at 381 Pismo Street early Monday was caused by a laptop computer, according to the San Luis Obispo City Fire Department.

Fire Inspector John Madden released a statement this afternoon stating that the computer, which was plugged into an electric outlet, was sitting on a blanket on an upholstered sofa.

“It is unknown if the computer overheated due to poor air circulation of the unit being place placed on a blanket or if the batteries overheated and caused the fire,” the statement said.

Damage to the structure is estimated at $75,000 and content loss is estimated at $30,000.

-- Leah Etling
sneakers55

Re: Overheating laptop starts fire

Post by sneakers55 »

John_Weatherman wrote:A warning about laptops ...
Mine came with a recommendation to avoid on the lap or bed use. The corner with the C2D and the video chip gets HOT!
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Overheating laptop starts fire

Post by 7im »

Too bad they weren't running Folding@home. Every fah user knows not to put a computer that folds on a blanket. Not enough air circulation. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
ElectricVehicle

Re: Overheating laptop starts fire [NOT FAH related!]

Post by ElectricVehicle »

If only they knew to run Folding At Home on their laptop and not run their laptop on a Folded Blanket!

Big difference - one advances science, the other burns down the house! Always fold correctly. 8-)
Fold On! (with 100% Renewable, 0 Carbon electricity) ElectricVehicle EV1, RAV4 EV, LEAF, Bolt EV, Volt, M3, s4 Simulator
alancabler

Re: Overheating laptop starts fire [NOT FAH related!]

Post by alancabler »

ElectricVehicle wrote:If only they knew to run Folding At Home on their laptop and not run their laptop on a Folded Blanket!

Big difference - one advances science, the other burns down the house! Always fold correctly. 8-)
You might just have a future in stand- up comedy.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.