UPLOAD Problems

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

UPLOAD Problems

Post by RAH »

I am having an issue, with one of my machines. Maybe someone can advise me, where, how, to
look for the reason, and an idea for a fix.

Machine - Q8200@2.33 (stock) running A3 SMP
Video - GTS 450@940/1880 - running GPU3 fermi
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64
Memory 4 Gig Geil DDR2 800@800
Nic - Atheros AR8113/AR8114

I don't have any problems with the WUs running or completing. Whenever the smp, or gpu
client completes, and sends the wu back, it will not drop the connection after DL new WU. It locks up
my network from that machine. Can't see other machines (HFM either), connect to internet, nothing.
Machine seems to work fine, other then anything to do with network/internet. (ie BF2 won't finish startup)

Can someone advise me where to look for the problem? Have tried microsoft W7 drivers, to the latest.
Tried using trouble shooters, nothing there.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: UPLOAD Problems

Post by VijayPande »

Could you give us a little more info? In particular, it would be useful to know
- do you see this with every server?
- if with just some, could you give some examples?
TIA.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

Thoughts:

If you have a few bucks, or some spare parts, put in another ethernet port to isolate the issue between Windows or Hardware. They make cheap USB->Gigabit LAN adapters which no toolbox should be without. Disable the existing ethernet first, then install the new device.

Make sure you are running the ethernet chip MFR's latest driver. 64-bit is still problematic for some drivers. For "work" machines, I'm still buying 32-bit Win because of driver issues.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450

Post by RAH »

VijayPande wrote:Could you give us a little more info? In particular, it would be useful to know
- do you see this with every server?
- if with just some, could you give some examples?
TIA.
Yes it seems to happen with all clients. Just had a GPU3 upload, and was still locked on several minutes
later. Fah core 15 ipv4 loopback port 1688. TCP/UDP
Still trying to figure how to monitor with some useful feedback.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

I'm not sure why you're connecting to the loopback adapter.

Some people tweaked their loopback adapter settings when they were running the older versions of the SMP client (fahcore_a1 or _a2). If you did, that may be the problem.

Some installations of IPv6 use the loopback adapter to map everything back from IPv6 to IPv4 so it can tunnel throuh an ISP that doesn't support v6. Have you tried disabling IPv6?
RAH

Post by RAH »

This is W7, i doubt it has anything to do with the old, XP dropping network, so they utilized the loop back to keep it active. This is the fah client, not dropping
the network after uploading/downloading new wU. It could be a nic/driver issue, i guess, still trying to get a monitor set up to check it out more. Network
monitor doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to use, but I'm trying.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

IPv6 is installed by default in Win7 but so far I have not found any reasons to use it. I disabled it and can connect just fine.
From the Network & Sharing Center, click on the active network and find Local Area Connection Status. Go to Properties and uncheck IPv6.