Need more hardware to keep outpacing IBM

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Need more hardware to keep outpacing IBM

Post by Zagen30 »

IBM is planning to build a 10 PFLOPS Supercomputer

We must increase our numbers to keep outpacing the field. :D I rather like being part of the most powerful computing effort in the world; we can't let Skynet... er IBM beat us!
Phantom2487

Re: Need more hardware to keep outpacing IBM

Post by Phantom2487 »

Someone persuade IBM to run FAH on it when it's not processing :D
Phenom II x4 920 @ 2.94GHz 4.3kppd | VIA PV530 @ 1.8GHz w/9600GT 3.2kppd |
__Core2Duo T8100 @ 2.1GHz 1.2kppd |
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

Well before IBM had to prove their supercomputer by playing chess. Now it will have to play Farmsville... :(
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

Histerical (sic) reference: When Deep Blue played chess in 1997, it was the 259th most powerful computer in the world at 11 gflops, or about 1/2 as powerful as an AMD 1100T desktop processor.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
bruce

Post by bruce »

Moore's law at work.

Let's see, 13 years is ~9 * 18 months.

Today, a desktop system with (half of) an 1100T might be worth $1000 on the open market. Multiply by 2^9 means IBM should have paid about $500 000 for Deep Blue.

No way. :!:

They spent A LOT more on it than that, but they were spending out of both their research budget and their marketing budget and it didn't really matter what it cost. Besides, competitive pricing works to drive down the cost of lots of things, but not research or marketing projects. Just look at the bargain that we're getting.
warmon6

Post by warmon6 »

Adam A. Wanderer wrote:
Zagen30 wrote: P.S. Have all of the Windows 7 users out there installed Service Pack 1 yet? The PC runs a lot smoother with this new service pack.
Not for all :(

Seams some people are having issues with the SP 1.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/window ... 12376.html
bruce

Post by bruce »

Adam A. Wanderer wrote:Darn. They'll probably have to put out an SP2. I can't understand how something can work so well on one computer, and so badly on another. There just can't be that much difference between computers! After all, they have to conform to some sort of standards.
You'd be amazed at how different two computers can be. Every possible device driver and almost every piece of software you install changes the Windows registry. The number of possible variations in registry configurations may not technically be infinite, but that number is well beyond our imagination.

That sort of puts a different perspective on the complaints that we see when Stanford's tiny development group takes as long as it does to get a total rewrite of the FAH client ready to distribute in a form that will run on all those Windows7 machines plus on all other recent versions of Windows, plus a number of distros of Linux plus OS-X ... ;) ;) ;)

Didn't Microsoft provide an automatic migration program that made it possible to upgrade from Vista to Seven more or less like upgrading to SP1? I think this was the first time they EVER had a migration tool that was supposed to work. I remember many times installing a manor version upgrade which required lots and lots of backup/restore steps and driver update steps and once you think you've got everything, you discover that some application left data files in some really obscure corner of the old OS and you can't find them on the backup. :evil:
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I've only tried to install W7 SP1 on 2 computers (32-bit laptop, 64-bit desktop). They both failed, repeatedly. One of these days I'll follow-up on the error code to see what the problem is.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

WoodburyMan
Hardware configuration: i7 920 SMP2
GTX570 GPU3

Post by WoodburyMan »

I've installed SP1 on close to 20 completely different machines, no issues whatever except for one where *someone* accidentally hit the power button with their elbow for a few seconds mid install....
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Adam A. Wanderer wrote:At the rate this problem is evolving, by 2021 no one, not even the designers, may be able to explain or understand how a computer works. They could become the most singularly complex machines/electronics humans have ever built, and that doesn't include the very complex software. When that point arrives, what will we do? How will we be able to interface with, or even operate a computer? How will we trouble shoot or repair them? Will we even know when there's a malfunction? Will any one person have the knowledge base to work with computers?
If a human can build it, we can repair it.

But by 2021, computers will be even more commoditized. Computers, in whatever form they take, will be like a toaster, when it breaks, you pull the quantum memory chip out, and throw the PC away, er, upcycle it. Then you buy a new PC out of the vending machine in the break room, put your chip back in the PC, and re-establish the BlueFang wireless cranial uplink. Fixed.

Oh, crap. I probably broke about 20 NDAs there. :lol:
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You're not breaking those NDAs. You won't even sign them until 2019, at the earliest. :lol:
the animal

Post by the animal »

Adam A. Wanderer wrote:P.S. Have all of the Windows 7 users out there installed Service Pack 1 yet? The PC runs a lot smoother with this new service pack.
I had no issue installing but noticed zero difference.