Need help for someone ill with cancer !!

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Need help for someone ill with cancer !!

Post by verlyol »

I have a friend who is currently suffering from an myeloblastic leukemia, his name is Benoît, it is 39 years old.
It is treated here in Belgium at the University Clinic St. Luc, but it has become resistant to chemotherapy treatments.

He already had a bone marrow transplant in 2010 that has not been successful. Actualy the doctor's doesn't have any solutions anymore.

The only hope should be that he could come in USA to try an experimental treatment such as new gene therapies.

we are trying to make contact with someone who could help us !

All information are welcomed.

Thank you in advance...

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Need help for someone ill with cancer !!

Post by Jesse_V »

My 12 year old sister died from a cancer in her chest/lungs couple of years ago. Chemo was not very effective due to the cancer's slow growth. We found this place http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/ and we were very impressed. His approach is at the DNA level, only applying specific treatments based on specific DNA markers. Its been a while and I've forgotten the details, but if chemo is a nuclear weapon to the body, his treatments are more like sniper rounds; hitting their targets with minimal collateral damage. Understand that I wouldn't suggest some anecdotal thing based on circumstancial evidence, this clinic has effective treatments that in some cases have been far superior to traditional methods. They specialize in brain cancers, but you should probably call them and ask how they can help your specific case. I will confidently say that they extended my sister's life by at least a year. Adults will probably fair better. They often take patients who have already gone through traditional treatments and are near end of life, and the clinic's drugs cure them completely. Your mileage may vary of course, but you should probably take a look.

It's been well established that over half of all known cancers are a result of the misfolding of p53, a tumor suppressor protein. The Pande group has made some remarkable progress in determining which mutations of p53 cause cancer. This was presented in the first scientific publication related to cancer from a distributed computing project. They've also performed studies of protein chaperones, which help proteins fold. Hopefully their results will lead to the creation of specific chaperones which will repair or destroy damage p53. In essence, I've been very impressed by their cancer efforts. It's devestating disease that I would argue is even worse than Alzheimers, since can affect children.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
verlyol

Post by verlyol »

Jesse_V, thank you for this information, we will have to contact the clinic to see if there is an opportunity.

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Best of luck. I've personally met Dr. Burzinzski, he certain knows what he's doing just like Dr. Pande.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Dr. Burzinski is Polish and his treatments are used in clinics in Europe and Japan. So you may not need to have your friend come over to the US after all. My sister was treated in Houston, Texas though, even though we're from Alaska.
verlyol

Post by verlyol »

I visited your website and saw the photo of your sister, god bless her, and again a big thank you to you.

Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

It's always sad to hear this news...

My uncle is suffering from Multiple myeloma, a form of cancer that can't be cured. He's currently taking chemo and has had radiation in UZ Ghent. At the moment he's slowly deteriorating but I hope things will stabilize soon. A niece of my mother has brain tumors and won't last much longer. She takes meds purely to ease the pain.

My grandfather died of prostate cancer, it runs through the family (another uncle was succesfully operated). Skin cancer runs through my fathers family (grandmother survived it). We all fold to get better cancer treatments one day!
verlyol

Post by verlyol »

Yes cancer is a problem that affects many people at all ages...

Since yesterday the situation of my friend is worse because he is suffering from a staphylococcus infection. We are waiting to see how the situation evolves because the immune system is not functioning properly.

Thank you for responding to this post.

MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

All I can say is good luck, I wish your friend and those close to him the very best.
verlyol

Post by verlyol »

Thank you MtM for these comforting words.

verlyol

Post by verlyol »

Just for your information, my friend Benoit died today in my presence. He died due to recent complications from his leukemia.
Special thanks to Jesse_V address he had given me for a possible treatment in the United States. Unfortunately complications related to his illness have not made ​​this possible.
I also thank MtM for his kind message.

Benoit was just 40 years February 15 2012 he left behind a wife and two children aged 6 and 4...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=639779333

Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

I am confident that the basic research we in Folding@Home generate will eventually serve as tools for developing treatments for host of diseases.

My condolences for your loss.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

I completely second Leonardo's post.
You are most welcome.
I'm sorry for your loss...
Hisuichan
Hardware configuration: @UK: Win7 Ultimate x64, Intel i5-2500K @ 4.2 GHz, Asus P8P67, 8 GB DDR3-1600, MSI R6870 Hawk, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Samsung 1.5TB HDD.
@LUX: Win7 Professional x64, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, 3 GB DDR2-800, Leadtek WinFast PX8800GT, over 9000 HDDs.

Post by Hisuichan »

I'm sorry to hear that verlyol, my deepest condolences for your loss.

All the more reason for all of us to keep folding and to help science progress.
Steam profile | Perfection consists not in doing extraordinary things, but in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well. -Angelique Arnauld
Rum@NoV
Hardware configuration: Orion (SMP):
---------------
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600
Memory: 8192 MBytes PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: Sapphire RADEON HD 5850, 1024 MB GDDR5 SDRAM

Deepcore_II (SMP):
----------------------
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
Memory: 4096 MBytes PC6400 DDR2-SDRAM

Nostromo (SMP+GPU):
--------------------------
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Memory: 4096 MBytes PC6400 DDR2-SDRAM
Graphics: EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT, 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM

Post by Rum@NoV »

My condolences.

40 years is way too young to go. My thoughts go out to his wife and children..