Laptop batteries when on AC power

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

kikimarie

Laptop batteries when on AC power

Post by kikimarie »

Since I hardly ever travel with my laptop, it runs almost exclusively on AC, rather than the battery. Does it make any difference if I leave the battery in place or remove it?
Team # 56734 - infinitum nihil
ICE_9

Re: Laptop batteries when on AC power

Post by ICE_9 »

No. only if the power goes out, then the batt will keep the computer alive. Also, the client should suspend itself and wait till back on AC then startup again.
http://www.hardforum.com

Team [H]ard OCP.
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

Hi Karin,
Here's an article on Lithium laptop batteries and how you might be able to prolong their life.
http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp

More info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthr ... ?p=3090523
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=186561

All chemical reactions are faster with heat, and keeping your battery in a laptop on AC power keeps it warm, which can speed the deterioration of the battery- but it's not really a big deal.
You can infer that the battery would last longer out of the laptop, but you have to be very careful...
Li batteries should not ever be allowed to discharge below 20-25% or so, or they die. Storing them above 40-50% charge isn't recommended either, so the whole issue is complicated.

Storing batteries out of your laptop (and in a cool environment) might prolong their life, but you must remain vigilantly "hands-on" and keep their charge between 25% and 40%, or you will shorten their life, rather than extend it.

Site admin bruce mentioned in the old forum that he'd tried to prolong his battery's life using a cooling technique... you might PM him, and ask if it worked.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
bruce

Post by bruce »

alancabler wrote:Site admin bruce mentioned in the old forum that he'd tried to prolong his battery's life using a cooling technique... you might PM him, and ask if it worked.
No PM, but that's not exactly what I said.

I did have a battery or two die on my old laptop. It's not clear if that was heat-related or not.

I do recommend a cooling tray for laptops used for folding. There are several brands available (most with fans) or you can just put your computer on one of those wire cooling racks that Mom uses to cool freshely baked cookies to give good circulation to the bottom of the laptop. the worst thing you can do, of course, is place it on a blanket or even a table-cloth that keeps the cool air from getting to the bottom of the machine.
jumbika

Post by jumbika »

Yeah, my laptop is vista and my desktop is XP. Laptop is wireless and I have a wireless internet connection that is run through a router with the desktop...How can I get my laptop to share the printer? Do I need more equipment to do this? Can this be done with to different OS's? How do I get my laptop to work wireless with a printer on a network? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by MstrBlstr on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If the printer is attached to the desktop machine, go to ControlPanel+Printers. right click on the printer and go to Sharing....

If there is no sharing... option, you probably need to go back through the network setup wizard and enable the option "I want to share my printers" or something like that. Also confirm that the workgroup name (My Computer+Properties) is the same on both computers.

From the Laptop, you'll need to go to the network page and be sure your wireless network is considered a private network. Then you should be able to use the Add Printer wizard.