Electron Holography Produces First Image of a Single Protein

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

neilrieck
Hardware configuration: Various platforms all sporting graphics cards: two P4 system running Windows-XP with Nvidea GTX-560 graphics cards.; two core-i7 systems running Windws-7 with AMD HD-6500); lots of stuff in between including two Core2 systems running Windows-Vista.

Post by neilrieck »

I just stumbled onto this article over at TR:

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27520/
Neil Rieck
Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.
Jonazz

Re: Electron Holography Produces First Image of a Single Pro

Post by Jonazz »

Sounds promising. Doesn't this dismiss some of Rosetta@Home's work? One of their goals is cheaply finding protein structues. That is IF this technique can do what the researchers promise.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

JonazzDJ wrote:Sounds promising. Doesn't this dismiss some of Rosetta@Home's work? One of their goals is cheaply finding protein structues. That is IF this technique can do what the researchers promise.
Rosetta@home is one of the best protein structure predictors out there. It will be quite a challenge to render them less important, even obsolete. No, I think Rosetta still is going to be there working away on predicting all the structures in the Protein Data Bank. They should be complementing each other I think.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I don't know much about how Rosetta works but I don't see how an image will be equivalent to a mathematical model. That doesn't take anything away from the accomplishments of the imaging team. Rosetta probably identifies details of the internal structure whereas the e-beam image probably just identifies the external structure. Certainly the external structure is very important, but I suspect that in many ways the two approaches are complementary.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Thanks for your answers!