Solar Projects for Under $1000

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

John_Weatherman

Solar Projects for Under $1000

Post by John_Weatherman »

The Sierra Club's latest newsletter has an article on solar power and the incentive of the government paying you back 30 percent of the cost of your solar installations, up to a maximum of $2000.
See Solar Projects for Under $1000
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Re: Solar Projects for Under $1000

Post by v00d00 »

At present the only use for solar on houses that i see is by moving your lighting to the batteries charged by the solar panels. A heating solution also exists, but it locks your system to heating.

If all houses in reasonably bright parts of the world had solar panels and used 12/24v lighting systems, then we could cut back on power usage a little. But the big problems come with high wattage items like vacs, washing machines, microwaves, etc. As invertors can easily drain a bank of batteries very quickly.

My preference though will always be wind turbines, as folding requires a bit more power than solar can give. Plus i live in a windy area.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

I agree with the wind preference.
The area which I live is home to many NIMBYs though,
citing noise and ugliness of the turbines as their reasons for being anti-wind power.
Tobit

Post by Tobit »

I do wish they could figure out how to cut turbine noise down. I don't care how they look though.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Another project... solar attic fan.

Not a product endorsement... just an example. http://www.sunrisesolar.net/ Gable mount fans available also.

Obviously, an attic fan in Arizona runs a lot more than other places. The fan helps cool the attic which helps cool the house, and lengthens the life of roofing materials (asphalt shingles in my case). It also allows me to use the attic for more storage. Also in my case, the fan would pay for itself in about 2 years.

I just can't convince myself to rip out the old electric attic fan that is still under warranty. While it's costing me a little more each summer, it seems like a bigger waste to trash it.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

It will be the end for the FAH DC if all will go overly green.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

7im wrote:Another project... solar attic fan.

Not a product endorsement... just an example. http://www.sunrisesolar.net/ Gable mount fans available also.

Obviously, an attic fan in Arizona runs a lot more than other places. The fan helps cool the arctic which helps cool the world, and lengthens the life of roofing materials (asphalt shingles in my case). It also allows me to use the attic for more storage. Also in my case, the fan would pay for itself in about 2 years.

I just can't convince myself to rip out the old electric attic fan that is still under warranty. While it's costing me a little more each summer, it seems like a bigger waste to trash it.
Hmmm, why dont you just admit it powers the cooling for all of your computers. ;)
Ivoshiee wrote:It will be the end for the FAH DC if all will go overly green.
If i had a 10kw turbine, id run even more computers, hell i'd be running 30 quads by now, but for now electricity costs too much to run more than 3.